TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Visio E601i-A3 tv, ser # LFTRWAN4001922. It will…

Customer Question
I have a Visio E601i-A3...
I have a Visio E601i-A3 tv, ser # ***** It will make a snap, crackle and pop noise and cut off. have done the power cycle - unplug, power button for 10 seconds and it generally returns . the frequency is increasing to every other day or so. Is this something fixable or time for replacement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/28/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Joe.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

As a general rule, on this type of tv, most everything can be fixed except horizontal lines on the screen or a cracked screen.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement may make more sense in the long run. Even fixing this issue, the tv won't likely last another 3 years. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Did you need more help with this, Joe?