TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have an older samsung tv HPS5053X/XAA Was connected to my…

Customer Question
HI Have an older...

HI Have an older samsung tv HPS5053X/XAA Was connected to my old Yamama Receiver and worked great for a few years

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

All of a sudden - TV stopped working. Checked all cables - good. When I router the HDMI cable from the concast cable box (xfinity1) it works - get audio and video signal. When I try t route through the AVR - get a blinking blue screen and samsung cannot find signal. I thought it was the AVR - and just got a Denon receiver AVR-S910W - doing the same thing HDMI cable is working great - get great audio - not getting picture out to the samsung

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/28/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

One thing to note is that even though an HDMI cable can work perfectly when connected directly from Source to TV (Cable Box to TV), this does not mean the cable is still not the problem when using a receiver, since ALL AV receivers use an HDMI repeater, which is not as strong of a signal as that directly from the cable box.

Can you please tell me how long the HDMI cable is?

Also, if you try and pull up the receiver's Setup MENU, does this display on the TV normally?

The cable on it now is a standard length (I think it's around 3 ft). I have tried a variety of cables in different lengths - same problem every time. I'm not getting a picture from the receiver at all - it is just a flickering image that says HDMI 1 TV in a small box at top left - it just flickers on and off - goes from back to blue screen on the TV. I have tried the HDMI 1 & 2 in the back of the tv - same issue.I
TV Technician: John Peeler,
 replied 2 years ago
John Peeler

Hi there, I’m Scott, I have owned a home theater installation business for 10 years now. I see you’re asking about a home electronics issue – I think I can help you, as I have over 20 years of experience in this area and have spent much time troubleshooting similar systems.

I looked over the history or what has been tried etc. I think the next step I would try is unplugging power on everything for a couple minutes. Then plug back in but leave off. Wait plenty of time for cable box to boot. Double check all of the cabing (HDMI to an input on the receiver, and HDMI from Monitor out on receiver to TV. Then power on the cable box 1st. Then turn on the receiver, and wait a couple seconds, then turn on TV. Let me know what happens.

I have done hard and soft reboots - not working. I have now tried the TV with 4 different receivers (Yamaha and now Denon) and continue to experience the same problem. I believe there is something happening with the HDMI handshake coming from the receiver to the TV. Is there a setting or something I can change to the TV can receive the picture from the receiver -- sound is coming out fine.
TV Technician: John Peeler,
 replied 2 years ago

You've tried I believe to get the setup menu or something from the receiver on tv.....? Have you also tried running a dvd player or something through the receiver to TV?

know you have tried multiple receivers, and its unlikely they are all bad.....but have you plugged any of these receivers to another TV to see if you can get a display?