TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sound no picture, Picture comes on with the sound.

Customer Question
Sound no picture Technician's...

Sound no picture

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Picture comes on with the sound.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/27/2016
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Welcome! I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority. We are now connected together on this convenient website.

To get started, I need to know you are able to reply to me here...

Your question is not clear. Please state the problem clearly.

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

I turn on the tv, the picture shows up for 45 seconds, then the screen goes black.
The sound continues to work fine but the screen stays black.

Thanks.

What is the model number of the tv?

How long have you had the tv?

When the screen goes black, if you try to bring up the tv MENU using the original remote or the buttons on the tv, does anything show up on the screen?

S42AX-YB02
About 10 years old
Don't have original remote, right now

S42AX-YB02 looks like a number off the display panel. We need the model number of the tv found on the back cover of the tv (not inside the tv).

use the menu button on the tv itself.

TV is not hooked up
HP-S4253

This service works best if you are with the tv and able to perform steps to narrow down the problem. I suggest you reply back later when you are actually ready to proceed.

Can it be the display IC?
I found the remote
I will contact you soon

ok

When the screen goes black
We hit menu but nothing shows up on the screen

what is your previous experience with electronics?

do you own a meter and have used it to measure live high voltage?

do you own a soldering iron and have soldered components onto circuit boards?

have you ever changed out a circuit board?

No soldering since grade 8
I don't own a voltmeter

Unfortunately one of the first steps in plasma diagnosis is measuring the Vs, Va, etc voltages while the tv is plugged in. Visual inspection and estimating the failure is not a valid method of diagnosis. We probably agree that just replacing parts without real testing is not a very cost effective way to proceed.

I would suggest you use a local repair shop but you need to call around because many shops (including the one I work at) charge a non refundable $100 diagnostic fee just to hand you and estimate and total repairs can be about $300. So it might be a good idea to check the prices of new 42" tv's.

I'm sorry for the bad news. Remember that I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above.

Regardless of what you decide to do next, please take a moment to click the 3 to 5 STARS rating at the top of the page. Keep in mind that I have donated my invaluable time and expertise helping you rather than other paying customers.

Rating now does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

Clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,

What is the most common issue when this problem comes up?
I will get a voltmeter in 15 minutes and contact you again

ok

I got the voltmeter
What do I do now?

have you ever used a meter to measure live high voltage?

No
I thought you had answers?
You seem to ask questions instead.

I am sorry, I am not going to be able to help you anymore.

Because you don't have an answer?
I'm just asking
What do you want me to test, with the voltmeter?
I have not received an answer to any of my questions. How do I rate you? I spent money for zero answers.