TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My flat screen turns on 5 min then turns off on its own

Customer Question
my flat screen turns on...
my flat screen turns on for about 5 min then turns off on its own
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
2/25/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Offhand, whenever these sets shut themselves off after power ON, it indicates a hardware failure in the TV causing this problem. It's not within normal operation, or a setting issue that causes it to cycle itself back off. It's a protection mode preventing further damage, or fire in the TV due to a short circuit.

Most commonly the High Voltage circuit, the Convergence circuit, or the power supply PCB itself has a hardware fault (failed regulator, capacitors, shorted transformer, etc.). To narrow it down requires testing inside of the TV with a service manual, a multi-meter AND (most importantly) experience working with high voltages on a PCB level and skill testing down to a component level. There are lethal voltages inside of these sets (1,000's of volts) that can KILL you even after the TV is unplugged.

So in most cases this is going to require someone that's skilled with this type of repair, and the average cost is between $250-$400 parts and labor (depending on the fault).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Let me know if you need further assistance once you're able to see my reply.

Aric, Technician