TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv model 42edt41a went into standby mode while I was

Customer Question
gone. the red indicator is...
my tv model 42edt41a went into standby mode while I was gone. the red indicator is on, indicating standby mode. cannot get it to power up and light the screen. any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Offhand, the standby light being stuck ON, and no response at all from the power button on the set indicates the Mainboard in the TV has failed (this board contains the processor and supplies the turn on/off command to the set). In most cases, this board needs to be replaced- and that is something that I can help you with.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

If you're having the same problem, then I would suggest leaving the set unplugged for an hour or more (overnight is best) in the hopes that the processor resets and allows you to turn the TV on again. However if it does not, then the part that needs to be replaced is the Mainboard, and it is at the link below for $15 if you're looking to repair the set yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-42-42EDT41-432AB488001-Main-Video-Board-MotherBoard-Unit-/361477616252?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, a shop will charge you roughly $225 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.