TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I purchased late last week a 55" series 6 - 6200 LED TV, I…

Customer Question
I purchased late last week...
I purchased late last week a 55" series 6 - 6200 LED TV, I have tried to hook it up to two different sound systems to add additional speakers without success. Both systems are admittedly old, one is a RCA audio Theatre Intergated Stereo Receiver, and the other is a Philips Minia HiFi system but all I get is static from the first and no sound from the other. The speakers work with the tuners and CD player but not with the TV. Do I need some special speakers to hook into the audio out terminals on the TV, a special amp, or is the problem with the TV?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/21/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. The issue you're running into is that this new TV does not use older style RCA red and white jacks for audio. On the TV those are for INPUT- not audio OUTPUT.

The only audio output on this TV, is the "Optical" (digital audio out) jack, and this requires a converter if you're going to try to use it with older receivers. The converter is below:

http://www.parts-express.com/dac-digital-to-analog-audio-converter-optical---coaxial---usb--180-998

You will then connect it to the TV's optical port, using an optical cable, and from there the converter gives you standard RCA audio output jacks, you can use to connect to your older receivers and get sound form the TV.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

That converter and the optical cable you need to make this work can also be purchased though Best Buy. The optical port on the TV is a small squarish jack labeled "Digital Audio Out", or "Optical Audio out". This is needed to connect any receiver to the TV, if the receiver does not already have an Optical Input.

Aric, Technician