TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv will not scan channels
, I have an older Olevia…

Customer Question
My tv will not...

My tv will not scan for cable channels

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I have an older Olevia TV that I am connecting to Antenna Cable but I cant get a signal on any opf the sources, primarily I am on Tuner 1

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/19/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model number of your tv?

Are you actually using antenna, or is it basic cable?

basic cable
I don't have model number
hello?>?????
this is BS, I am cancelling this charge.

I'm sorry for any delay, but when you send multiple messages moments apart, you get pushed down the queue.

Still though, I cannot provide you with an answer without the model number. That information should be printed on the back of the tv.

I also need to know who your cable provider is.

Olevia TV. Time Warner Cable. It will not auto search for channels. It's connected into cable correctly and another TV connected to the cable works.

I would like to help you, but again, I cannot do so without the proper model number. All you need to do is look on the back of the tv and it will be printed on a placard there.

Model 237-T11

Thank you for confirming.

The problem here is that your tv lacks a QAM tuner. While it has a tuner that could pick up over the air channels from an antenna, it does not possess the proper type of tuner to work with cable, and at this point TW cable is encrypted in most all regions anyway. What this means is that the tv would require the use of an external tuner box (set top box), which you can ask TW to provide for you. IF they don't encrypt signals in your area you could buy your own box for around $35, but cable companies everywhere are transitioning to encrypted signals meaning that at some point, sooner than later, a box from them would still be necessary at some point. If you'd like a link to order a box of your own, let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Did you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer