TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I'm having difficulty trying to hook up an older Bose 1-2-3…

Customer Question
I'm having difficulty trying to...
I'm having difficulty trying to hook up an older Bose 1-2-3 with no HDMI to a cable box and a Sharp Aquos Smart TV. I have all video and can even get DVD's to play on Bose DVD player, however, I can not get sound to come out of Bose speakers, only comes out of TV speakers.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me exactly how you have everything connected?

HDMI is connected between Cable box and TV which shows up as input DCH-64xx
Optical cable between TV and Bose
the red and white cables between tv and bose on video 2 which allows the dvd to play when I switch tv output to video 2

What is the full model number of the tv?

LC-60LE847U
BOSE MODEL AV3-2-1GS MEDIA CENTER

Thank you for confirming.

The issue here is that the TV cannot output audio from the optical port in this situation.

This is actually a common, and very frustrating arrangement on most sharp tvs. It will only output audio from digital inputs (hdmi) via the hdmi audio return channel which of course your bose does not support.

What you'll want to do in this case is to use an optical cable from the cable box directly to the bose for audio.

Unfortunately this won't work for any of the smart tv apps, we can make it work but it would require some additional converter equipment.

I SWITCHED THE OPTICAL FROM TV AND PUT IT BETWEEN BOSE AND CABLE BOX AND STILL CAN HEAR/SEE DVD, BUT NOTHING OUT OF THE BOSE SPEAKERS. I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT SMART TV APPS, JUST WOULD LIKE TO HAVE AUDIO OUTPUT OUT OF BOSE SPEAKERS FOR CABLE/DIGITAL TV AND DVD'S.

Well you are using the internal bose dvd, aren't you? If so, sound from it should be automatic.

It also needs to be set to the tv/aux input mode to pick up signal from the optical (when using the cable box).

Do you have the subwoofer module connected properly?

I am using the internal bose, but sound is coming out of tv only, not bose speakers. What needs to be set to tv/aux mode? The Bose menu has TV (video 1) setting and an aux. setting, however, my tv input is set to DCH-64xx input (HDMI 1) and that is the only input I get cable tv on. I think the subwoofer module is connected correctly. The speakers are connected to the BOSE in the only jacks they will go in.

You'd leave the tv just the way it is.

Do you have the power connected to the subwoofer unit?
On these bose systems if you aren't getting audio through the bose speakers then the bose is muted or needs to be turned up, or the sub unit (amplifier) is faulty.

The bose is set to dvd for dvd, or set to the video/tv mode to pick up the signal from the optical cable (from the cable box directly)

Okay, so I have totally unhooked bose from TV and cable box and hooked it up to power and speakers and turned to fm radio mode which was working through tv speakers earlier. Now the Bose shows that it is working and volume goes up, but no sound through speakers. I attached a pic of the back of small Bose speaker. I don't have a cord to hook into the gold jack on either of the small speakers. Not sure if I need something there and if that could be causing issue. Would you know?

That is not a wiring connection, that is a threaded mounting hole for a wall mount bracket.

Can you check that the bose speakers are connected to the sub and that the sub has power and the connection to the media unit?

Okay, assuming that the sub is the big speaker of the bose system: The power connects from the big speaker to the power outlet, then the big speaker connects to the Bose media center which provides power to it and then the little speakers connect to the media center.

Yes the sub is the big box. My concern here is if the sub unit has failed or isn't properly connected, that would cause this issue, as it is what amplifies the small speakers too.