Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

How do I attach an iPod port to a Sony Bravia tv?

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Do you want to play music files on ipod to get sound through Sony TV speakers?

- What type of connection cable you have for this purpose?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to play music files on ipod to get sound through Sony TV speakers? Yes- What type of connection cable you have for this purpose? I don't know - the ones that came with tv. this function has worked previously - we've just relocated. It plays music but you can't see the music menu, albums , songs etc
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info, does TV work and display home menu when watch other connected video sources such as cable box or DVD etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
menu down the bottom of the screen. We use to be able to see one across the middle of the screen and when you got to the music symbol - click on it and then the Ipod icon would pop up - can't see this now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can see the menu across the middle of screen when go through 'dvd rec' but no ipod - use to go through 'home theatre' but home doesn't work thru that now.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, is the ipod cable plugged directly into USB port of TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
USB cord plugged in from ipod dock to tv. There is another connection point on ipod port called 'video out' which is yellow. there is nothing connected to this (and I don't think there was previously)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also of note is that on the screen of the ipod it says 'connected' & has an image of a USB. Previously you would see the list of albums, tracks on ipod
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thats the reason you're not getting any visuals on TV when playback ipod, that video out jack provides video signal to TV to show ipod icon, menu and folders etc to navigate in ipod. Please click following video clip link to see how to connect ipod to TV which will help..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjJw8kGFJM

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck yet. there are 2 possible cables to connect. single yellow at each end or three at each end - red, yellow & white. there are 3 holes in the tv but just one in the ipod dock??
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, working on it and get back to you in 5 minutes.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Need to use AV cable that has three pins (yellow-red-white), plug the cable into ipod and insert yellow pin into yellow RCA jack at back of TV for video signal, insert red and white pins into related color jacks for audio signals.

Press Input button on TV and select Video-2 (it could be listed as AV or Composite Video etc) to get ipod screen on TV.

Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, which is the input button on tv ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its ok to just insert the yellow point into ipod dock & leave the red & white hanging?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No, red-white pins provide audio signals and yellow contains video signal so all three pins are must to plug into Video-2 jacks at back of TV in related color coded jacks.

Input button is located on top right of TV remote, press it to get video input source list and select correct video input to get ipod video/ audio signals in TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, 3 pins in the back of tv but just one in ipod dock ( (white & red free). got a video 1 input but when I select it I just get video 1 at top of screen and ipod still has the connected symbol
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what kind of cable you have for this connection, please check following link to view different cables and reply back which one is similar that you have..

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/images/P/iphone3g%20av%20cable.jpg

http://oit.williams.edu/files/2010/09/ipod_av_cables.jpg

http://www.skywinda.com/cp/html/images/1241870443.jpg

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of these. I have two - one has three points at each end - red, yellow and white and the other is a single yellow point at each end. At this point I just want the music
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I wish you have had correct AV cable for ipod connection as one has three points at each end - red, yellow and white and the other is a single yellow point at each end wont work for this connection setup.

Please get proper cable from following Apple Store or Amazon link..

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC748AM/A/apple-composite-av-cable

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-AV-Cable-iPod-4G/dp/B000E2ASCE

It depends what version/ generation ipod you have to get correct AV cable for connection to TV. A simple/ regular AV cable will not work here. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was all working a week ago with current equipment ??
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I understand and it is quite possible you're missing the correct AV cable that was working week ago.