TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an Lg smart TV( model webosTV). The TV doesn't pick…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an Lg...
Hi, I have an Lg smart TV( model webosTV). The TV doesn't pick up our wireless modem signal. We have a computer in another room away from the modem and the computer is working well. Is there someway I can reset the TV to pickup the signal.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/14/2016
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi David and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "... Lg smart TV( model webosTV)..."

model number: 6OLF6300-TA

Appreciate the additional information.

Is this a fresh/new install? ...or has the TV connected wirelessly with the modem before and this issue of "...TV doesn't pick up our wireless modem..." just recent?

We have had the TV running off this modem for about six months. It is only recently that the TV doesn't pick up the modem.

To my understanding, this particular model has a 'status test' in Home / Settings / Network / Wi-Fi Connection / Advanced settings that would show an "X" mark to identify the potential problem between: TV / modem / DNS / Internet

Can you please determine where the "X" mark is please?

I can't get into the advanced settings. It won't allow me access to determine where the X is.

Were you able to get to 'Wi-Fi Connection' at least?

I can get to the Wi-Fi connection page. I click on TPG (our provider). It shows full bars for being on. When I click on it, it searches for a while then states user name or password ***** I then input the password ***** it tries to connect then it fails.

Depending on the network version, are you able to manually set an IP Address for the TV?

Is the IP address the same as network name. If so I can manualy put it in. I have tried this previously and failed. Is there any way I can reset the TV as if I just purchased it and started the process again. It seems odd that I have the computer I am using now to talk to you running off the Wi Fi.

No the name would alsmot be the SSID while the IP Address would be something like 192.256.254.1

There is a RESET for this model in Home / Settings / Advanced / General / Reset to Initial Settings

A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed.

Would you consider this?

I know the the IP address is correct, because I have been on the phone to TPG. I am happy to reset and start again if you think this is a good idea.

With the TV yes, consider the RESET. As posted above; "...A reset is both a test and a try of a fix..." If not corrective and based on "...only recently that the TV doesn't pick up the modem..."; then we are looking at a potential hardware issue.

I have completed the reset. The TV still won't pick up the Wi-Fi.

Then it would confirm a hardware issue.

Considering that the TV would still be under warranty, it may then be to your advantage to have it repaired by an authorized Service Center.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Thankyou Louie for your help. I might get someone to come out and look at the system,

I understand David.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Louie, Technician