TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

What is a newer model to replace my old DVD/VCR player.

Customer Question
what is a newer model to replace my old DVD/VCR player.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
The Model No. is PV-0A733S
2/13/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you only needing to play back, or to record also?

Just play back, but it has to have a connection to cable.

So you mean it needs an internal tuner? Or do you mean you want one with a coax connection (to be used with channel 3 or 4 on the tv)?

I guess one with the coax connection. I don't know what an internal tuner is.

That would be for recording.

The bigger issue is that it is virtually impossible to find a new vcr unit these days. The vcr technology is so obsolete it was discontinued years ago and hasn't been manufactured new for at least 6 years. Even the newer models which may only be found used have transitioned to newer connections and most do not have a coax output anymore.

If you can use one that has the red/white/yellow outputs, then I can find you a suitable unit. Otherwise some may still be available but it would have to be used.

Let me explain my situation: I don't really need the VCR portion. What we need is a player that allows a cable connection. Why the cable connection, my husband uses a wireless Sennheiser headset because of hearing loss. If I plug the Sennheiser into the TV directly I don't get sound. Years ago I bought this old model which has connections to the TV and also to Cable. Does that make sense?
The DVD player is broken, i am unable to open the door, it just won't open.

Okay so you just need a dvd player then.

You should be able to use any type of analog connection (component/composite), just not a digital one (hdmi), and the sound will still get through to the tv, for the headphones.

As long as you are inputting analog (coax or composite) to the tv, the tv should be able to output composite (red/white or headphone jack) to the transmitter for his headphones.

This type of player will work for you: http://amzn.to/1KNhWbJ

There are other options as well that would allow his headphones to work with the tv, even if you were using digital (hdmi) inputs, if you'd like me to explain about that.

I am an old lady, can you explain please what an analog connection is. Wires I assume.

Well wires are always needed, but analog means the coax, or red/white/yellow cords.

Digital means hdmi cable which is just one cord for everything. Digital inputs are preferred for better picture/sound, but most tvs cannot output audio from the tvs red/white ports (to his headphone system) if a digital input is used.

So as long as you buy the above player I linked to and use the red/white/yellow, it will work.

We shall see, if it doesn't have a slot for the cable connection it will be useless, just like the one I just purchased and have to return.

As long as you use the red/white/yellow rca connections, it will work just fine.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Did you need any more help with this, Lori?

I would like to rate you, but at this point I can not. Have ordered the device you suggested, but I am pessimistic about its usability. At this point I am looking for some kind of cable that would let me split the Sennsheimer wireless headset to allow us to listen via the headset and the normal TV sound so both of us can be happy. There has to be something out there. I do not have time today to talk further.

Yes, that device does exist, and is what I had eluded to previously.

There is no need to have a player at all, period. If your intent is just to use the tv and the headphones together, that can certainly be done, but some additional equipment is required.

The reason for this is that all modern tv's are digital, and because of copyrights and digital rights management/copy protection, so tv's cannot have any analog outputs, which is what a headphone jack would be.

The way around this is to use the Digital Audio Out port on the back of the tv. This is a square type port with a little flap/door over it and a red light inside. You connect a fiber optical cable to it. You'll need to purchase a digital to analog converter: http://amzn.to/1VhPiQx . This will convert the optical connection to an analog stereo connection (red/white rca ports). To that, you can then connect rca cables to the base unit for a wireless headphone transmitter, or if needed use a stereo to minijack adapter to plug in a standard headphone jack.