TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I purchased the harmony remote to replace my other that is

Customer Question
Hi I purchased the harmony remote...
Hi
I purchased the harmony remote to replace my other that is broken and I am unable to program it correctly. I have my Panasonic tv on, my cable box on, and my Panasonic home theater on. I have voice but no picture can you assist me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
2/12/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions , let me know when you`re ready ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'm ready

O.k then first i will have a few questions about this no picture and sound ;

Is this how this started ?

You lost the picture and decided to change the remote ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No unfortunately my dog ate my remote.

O.k then if the dog had the btter of it then you gonna have a hard time syncing it to the new .

How did you try to program your 650 so far ?

Did you go on the logitech website while the remote is connected to your PC ?

Right now to tell you frankly i`m not sure where to start so please bear with me and we`ll do this one step at a time .

For example i don`t know which remote your dog ate and which original remote is working and i also honestly don`t know if your 650 has anything to do with the loss of picture so it may be a good idea to leave the harmony aside for now and see what can be done with what you have now

The 650 is easy to program once you have things working , you simply load its software then plug it in your pc and laaunch the program then just follow the prompts.

For now what i would need is the tv`s model number ?

home theater model would come in handy as well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have connected the remote to the computer, installed the software and added all of the devices (Panasonic home, cable box, surround sounds and rocketfish) I know that I can sync the "fix" button if the original remote was capable, how would I reprogram and install the fix option from nothing? everything is working but the tv screen is not visible, Panasonic TBM2AX08001

Thats not the model number , sorry but this is not going to work and i will opt out .

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
home theater- Panasonic SA-PT673
TV Technician: littlerusty2005, Expert replied 1 year ago
littlerusty2005

Hello, my name is***** has opted out. I have the same remote, I can help you. Give me just a minute to read what you've already done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, thank you.

Ok, I want you to test the remote for each device. Press the button just below the screen in the center repeatedly until you see ACTIVITIES. Now select a device, and press pwr toggle for the device. Make sure it turns your device on or off. Do this for each device, and tell me if any of them do not turn off.

This will take a few minutes, but in the long run, this will save a lot of time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all of those functions work the remote controls all devices. the issue we had when we first got the remote is it was operational to the point of turning everything on. however when you try to watch tv the sound is on and you can change the channels but you can not see the picture, we had the "fix" button installed to solve this issue. I tried to set up the new remote by syncing the old chewed remote to the new, however the buttons on the old remote will not work. so I just need to install the "fix" button on the new remote through the software or if there is another way around it

Well, these remotes work with macros. It sounds like the TV is just on the wrong input, but your sound system is turning on and tuning to the correct input like it should. Turn everything off with the buttons on the devices, not the remote. Open an activity, and tell me if the picture comes up.

Additionally, try all of your activities, and tell me if they are working properly. If one is out and the others work, that's an easy fix. We'll just have to take a look at your physical connections, and then go into the activities section of the software and make some adjustments.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all the activities work separately but still no picture

Is there picture on any of the activities?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the picture never shows up no matter what activity is turned on the most ive seen is the snowy screen or a "sorry you're on the wrong channel" error

Ok, I know what's going on, let's check how your system is connected, and we should be able to get it going. Tell me, are your devices connected to an AV receiver, with a single HDMI connection to your TV? Or is anything connected to your TV other than the AV receiver?

The problem seems to be that your TV is on the wrong input. If it's HDMI from your receiver, just switch the input on your TV to the correct HDMI input, and it should clear up the problem.

I await your reply. This is the time where I need as much information of how your gear is connected and what cables are used to connect them as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything that controls the tv as far as the cable box and the home theatre system in in the closet across the room, the tv is mounted in the wall so if I have to see the back of the tv for anything that wont be possible but I can change the settings on the tv to see if the correct HDMI is sycned

Ok, Bingo... When your dog decided your remote was a treat, he likely changed the input on your Tv. Since it's mounted to a wall, that tells me that you have one HDMI connected. That's great, this should be easy to fix.

On your remote, go to your Tv, and press Input HDMI a few times, pausing about 2 seconds between pushing. That will switch between your HDMI inputs, we just need to locate the correct one. That is why you are getting sound and not picture, your remote isn't programmed to change the input, because all sources are on the same input. Tell me which input you get picture on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have changed all the settings between the different HDMI, tv and cable, nothing shows a picture

That wouldn't have anything to do with the remote, are you able to switch between all of your HDMI inputs without success? I want you to go through them one by one again, just to make sure. That is the problem if it is an error with the remote, if you don't have a picture still, there is another problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can use the original tv remote to change the HDMI, the remote only controls the tv

Yes, that is the trick. Take a look behind the TV, make sure it's an HDMI cable. Then try all of your HDMI inputs to find the one that is connected. You may need to press the input button, use the arrow buttons to move the cursor, then quickly press OK or enter to select that input.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tv doesn't have buttons that allow me to change the HDMI physically on it that I can see
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tv is literally screwed to the wall, it was mounted before I moved in and the tv does not move in any way

Ok, the TV remote will have the Input (source) button that you need to change the input. I believe whole-heartedly that this is the problem, so use your TV remote, and we'll have success.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it on HDMI1 which it is normally on, before the remote was broken and no other HDMI or component settings work for a picture

Ok, what is the model number of your AV receiver? I want to take a look, there's something simple that we need to find.

Are you 100% positive that your inputs are switching properly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what does the AV receiver look like? and yes, I switched to dvd and I get sound from the dvd playing but still no picture

The AV receiver is the big box that your speakers are plugged into. It will say DVD, CBL/SAT, BD, etc... depending on what you are listening to.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Samsung SMT-c5320

That is your set top box, what is that plugged into?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its connected to the rocketfish

Ok, it appears that you may be unaware of your system's functionality. Let's go back to your TV, with the TV remote. When you're on HDMI 1 input, are you able to change the channel? What are the numbers on your TV remote? I'll take a look and figure out what's not going right.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can change the tv channel as far as from 1 to 2, 2-1 ect. but if I leave channel 1 I receive the "channel not available" message, I can change the channel from the cable box as if I were using the guide but I still can not see anything. the fix button the tech added was the only thing that changed that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any time I use the remote to try and change the channel it makes the "Panasonic home" go from "D-IN" to "AUX/TV" which no longer allows the sound

Ok, that's definitely your TV is on the wrong input. It's on Cbl/Sat or TV, rather than HDMI. HDMI inputs will not allow you to change the channel. I need you to work on the input on your TV. Press the input button, use the arrow buttons to select HDMI 1 and then press OK(enter).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help I'm going to hire a tech to come and fix it

What is the model number of your TV remote? We're very close, and I can save you some money and get it working.

littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Expert