TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Samsung HP-S5053 vertical black line on television (far

Customer Question
right side)....
Samsung HP-S5053 vertical black line on television (far right side).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
2/1/2016
TV Technician: Michael Hannigan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the TV category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

I received the television as a gift. Make is Samsung HP-S5053. I reviewed other posts and found my initial problem was my main board (where all inputs are). It has been replaced with the exact replacement needed. After this, my picture is perfect but the right side of the screen (if I'm looking directly at it the front of the television) is black vertically and there is slight snow across the whole screen. I have calibrated the television with the x and y boards plugged in, but my VE is not set at 65v as it jumps around from between 3V and 200V roughly. I have unplugged and plugged back in my Y boards to find I believe the problem to be on the X board which controls horizontal picture. I see no blown capicators or oil on any boards. I can give more info if needed.

What happens to the voltages if you disconnect the x board? Does that stablize the voltage?

I never disconnected the X board completely. I will try that when I get home tomorrow. I'm on shift until 8 am so it'll be after that. Anyway, I disconnected all X board ribbons and the voltage went up but never stabilized. It will intermittently stabilize but starts jumping around again after about 5 or 10 seconds, which is just its regular doing. I have not done the scroll test yet and I'll perform that too if I can see my screen options. I believe it to not be on the Y main or buffer but I'll disconnect that as well. I unplugged a ribbon off of my logic board and it stabilized it. I can't remember which one though.

I don't think it's the Y main or buffer either. It wouldn't have that effect.

I didn't think so either. I think that would affect it horizontally and I don't believe that that would cause snow, which I believe is usually caused from the wrong voltage in the power board... But I don't know... I wanted to ask you about that. What would usually cause that?

Ultimately the snow is probably from the main board, but it very well can be from the voltages going to it.

Are you able to take a picture of what the screen looks like and attach that here with the paperclip icon?

Okay. So I have unplugged the x and y boards and found no change in the voltages. I unplugged the Logic Board and everything evened out. The LED2000 is staying on on the logic board, and the LED2002 is blinking. I don't know if this is significant. There is not much snow, as you can see in the picture. I ran the white scroll on the screen and you can see how the white scroll is not taking place on the far right of the television. Please let me know what other tests I need to run so I know how to fix this. I wouldn't imagine that the Logic board would shut off the far right of the television, but I could be wrong. Before I replaced the Main board, the whole television was working. Now there isn't the problem that it had before but a new one. Look at the pictures and let me know what else to do. Also, this is the webpage that helped me solve the problem before. http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/cc497f322bf6427a8b0145a5a50ea483 Thank you for all your help so far.
Messed up TV.jpgMessed...jpgthumb_IMG_1840_1024.jpgthumb_I...jpgIMG_1841.jpgIMG_1841.jpgIMG_1839.jpgIMG_1839.jpg
The first picture is how my television looked before, but maybe a little worse... Sorry, Forgot to explain that. It was the google image search image I found.

Well, it doesn't look like a main board. So that is sort of good news... It looks like a logic board.

I do see the thread to which you are referring, and if there is any of that you need to see in particular, I can provide it, but the possibilities of what is wrong is narrowing. I'm pretty sure it's a logic board.

You believe that would be cutting off the far right of the screen? I'd just get a tested and good part. I was thinking it would be the logic board before I replaced the main board. BUT it would make sense for it to be the logic board because the scroll test isn't taking place in the whole screen. It's only about 15 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-BN96-03366A-LJ92-01371A-Main-Logic-CTRL-Control-Board-For-HPS5073-/262246888185?hash=item3d0f21f2f9:g:dVQAAOSw8-tWVMAL
BUT I have this other question. Could it be from solder crack? If so I'll take my soldering iron and touch all the solder to see if that'll fix it... What do you think?

It can always be from a cold solder joint or a crack in the solder somewhere. There are many things it can be. Usually the best anybody can do is take a very educated guess. Rarely do symptoms clearly point to one problem.

Right. I took it off and I may just oder a new one. The parts.. even the fuses.. are so tiny on here. One of my capacitors is reading open (no resistance) so it may be that, but I haven't even the first clue on how to order a new one because it must not be called a capacitor... Plus, I might as well just order a whole board since I'm not a TV shop. Thanks for your help and I'll notify if it fixes it. Ordering a new board tonight.

Capacitors are a common problem. It is very difficult though, to measure their capacitance. You have to basically remove it first. But to replace, you just need to get the numbers off the side and purchase a capacitor with the same capacitance - they are just a generic component like a diode or a resistor.

I have replaced the board. I see no difference. I replaced the Logic Board and the problem still persists that far right is still black. Is there another technician that can help? Maybe someone from a repair shop?
I would have posted earlier but I was on shift for two whole days.
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 2 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

If the 2 bottom pictures are from your TV set, I suspect the E buffer board or it's the panel that's failed.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn96-03363a-e-buffer-board.htm

check the board number at shop jimmy, make sure it matches the board I've listed, ok?

Will do. With my old main board, the entire TV worked, though it didn't work correctly. I attached the new main board and the tv shuts off the far right side. I replaced the logic board and the VE has evened out, but still the same problem. I'll check the part and see. If there a trouble shooting thing I can do to make sure it is the E board?
Now that I see what you're talking about, I COULDNT STOP THINKING MAYBE ITS ONE OF THOSE. Because it's only the right, 1/4 or 1/3 of the screen. Not half of the screen. So how would I test to see which is bad?

Buffers ONLY affect that part of the picture it's located UNDER...There's no test you can run, unless you have a really FAST oscilloscope and can lock it to 60 Hz, then look at missing digital data or the ribbon cable connection to see if data is missing. And you better have a steady hand doing that work. I just replace it because they're cheap.

Hmm, Just answer removed the web info.

Here you go

That link should be accessible

I know what you're talking about having a steady hand. I shocked the crap out of myself when I didn't know any better. I'll just buy a new one. Maybe swap one for the other and see if it works? Would that be a good test? Like if I swapped it out for the one to the right of it and they swapped places, ideally the blank spot should change, right?

Those boards aren't interchangeable unfortunately. Also note that Just Answer didn't repost your response back to me, I was looking at the list of "timed out" responses and saw you responded. I'll have to check yours regularly. As for a NEW TV...if you've had your TV for 8 years and want one of those "reasonably priced" 4K TV sets OR one of the TV sets that is a series 7000 or higher, that would be a MASSIVE improvement in picture quality.

I hope Samsung's compare mode works in this hyperlink. I tried setting ALL to the 55 inch flat screen models, but they set themselves to the default size. Sometimes 65 inchers are cheaper than 55 inchers due to customer demand. Anyways, look at the SERIES numbers of all these...they are series 7000 or Higher. That's the TOP OF THE LINE TV panels. Series 5000 or 6000 are so-so.

http://www.samsung.com/us/compare/#category/N0000042/products/UN55JS8500FXZA%2CUN55F7100AFXZA%2CUN60F8000BFXZA

TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician