TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a vizio around 3 years old. After I turn the tv on,

Customer Question
I have a vizio around...
I have a vizio around 3 years old. After I turn the tv on, in around 15-30 seconds it cuts itself off. It will do the 3-4 times in a row until it finally will stay on - what could be causing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the complete model number of the tv?

where is the model number found? It is mounted on the wall so I may not be able to get to it

It is printed on a sticker on the back side of the tv.

Most mounts can tip/pull out enough to access the connections and view the label.

If you absolutely cannot get to it, I can give you some general information here as a starting point. Can you at least tell me the size (diagonal, inches) of the set?

60 inch
i cannot get to the back to see the model - it does not pull out from wall - sorry

Okay, we can skip the model number for now, but it may be needed later.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; which wouldn't be surprising for this brand. The vizio tvs tend to be low quality and poorly made, so seeing a service life of around 3 years is common.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age/brand however, replacement may make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $700 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.