Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I cannot change my audio out settings on pioneer tv to

Customer Question

I cannot change my audio out settings on pioneer tv to digital optical cable. The option is grayed out in my menu. Help please
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

The Optical Output on Pioneer sets is not what you think. Per the manuals for all of their TV's it states that the optical is ONLY able to be used when the TV's internal tuner is used. It ONLY outputs audio from the built in TV tuner. Not from any devices connected to the TV using the AV connections or HDMI connections (if applicable).

On most Pioneer sets there is a set of red and white audio outs though, and these jacks actually process the external AV signals. Optical on older TV's is only or their built in tuner however- this was the case for ALL Pioneer PDP's, and then they stopped making them altogether.

If you need further specifics on how to connect an audio device (Soundbar or HT receiver) to the TV, then I would need to know WHAT specifically you're connecting to the TV for sources, and also the model number off of the back of the Pioneer.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You can also test what I've posted above for yourself. Select the TV's built in Tuner (if a coaxial is not connected directly to the TV you will likely get "snow"), and then go into the optical settings- and see that it will let you select it here.