TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have a samsung dlp tv which started whining (color wheel?)

Customer Question
when turning on, then became...
have a samsung dlp tv which started whining (color wheel?) when turning on, then became harder to turn on (had to start it several times, eventually it would come on) finally it quit. I replaced the lamp and color wheel. Still the lamp will not come on. when its off you see all 3 front lights flashing, once you turn it on, its switches to the single lamp light, after about 20 seconds you hear a clicking noise, sound like it cycles attempting to light the lamp but eventually goes back to the three lights.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
1/30/2016
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Welcome

Where did you get the lamp from please and for what price?(the color wheel appears to be working)

Let me know please

Anthony

I am not sure, its a Phillips approx. $85

OK if you can hear the ballast trying to fire the lamp then the color wheel has reached the correct speed and the ballast is trying to fire the lamp but the lamp is not lighting now we have a problem in the industry with copy lamps that simply wont work or wont last long so the way it is at the mo you will need to eliminate that angle so send that lamp back and get a genuine OEM lamp from www.dlplampsource.com <<click, they only sell genuine lamps, its my belief this is your issue.

Let me know if you need more help

Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony

I actually have two lamps, one that I thought was bad, the second that has never been used. neither one work?

But you see the process is not complete because the lamp is not lighting now it may be that the ballast is not hitting the lamp hard enough I can only indicate the most common issue which is the copy lamp issue, you could have a look and check of the ballast, look carefully at it do you see/hear a good flash/click from it?does the ballast look physically OK?no leaking /bulging capacitors?let me know about those checks first, then we will move on, the ballast is easy to spot just trace leads back from the lamp

I looked for bulging capacity when I pulled the unit replacing the color wheel, no bulging issue, yes you hear a definite click, back to the lights, I have replaced the bulb about once a year over the past 4 years. we do leave the tv on all night most of the time.

I am referring the ballast so your saying you see nothing wrong with the ballast, OK that leaves a visual check to complete then a measurement of the voltage supplied to the ballast from the powerboard around 340 to 360vdc

If that is OK we are back to replacing the lamp

The visual check and sound of the click needs to be positive from the ballast it just proves its trying to fire the lamp>>>>lamp wont light>>>there is nowhere else to go the lamp should light