TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The tv is not on however the red light on tv is flashing.

Customer Question
The Foxtel box is on...
The tv is not on however the red light on tv is flashing. The Foxtel box is on and the dvr box can go on but nothing appears on screen even to run disk. Maggie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
1/28/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Maggie.

Do you see any particular pattern to that flashing light on the tv?
Does the tv ever come on and work normally at this point, or only the flashing?

Just flashing with same interval except when used help and then it paused.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Call if in next few minutes if not continue texting
I do not wish to pay all I want is an answer to this particular question and wish it now
I need to know what you mean by used help. Was there an on screen help menu that guy accessed? Look carefully at the light. It should flash in a specific pattern.
There is a button on the remote which I used several times and the remote help didn't fix it
Even turning the set off won't stop it flashing but the Foxtel box and dvr will respond to turning all devices on and off
I am primarily concerned with the tv at this point. Please unplug it at the mains for 60 seconds and let me know what happens.
The tv turned on just a moment but then started flashing again

Okay, I can give you some basic/general information here.

Or, if you can watch that light very carefully and tell me the specific pattern (for example blinks 7 times, pause, 7 more, etc), I can give you more detailed information.

There is 11 flashes then a pause

Thank you for confirming. I'm glad you were able to check, as this may hopefully be an easy fix.

This means you have a fan fault. There are fans inside the tv, which can clog up with dust, overheat, or fail.

Start by vacuuming off all the vent holes on the back/top of the tv, and blow it out as best you can with compressed air.

Ideally, you'd take the back cover off the tv and clean the fans directly with a vacuum or compressed air, if you are comfortable doing so (power disconnected).

If no change, then we're looking at a deeper problem, which could be as simple as a bad fan, all the way on up to a faulty power supply or control board.

Try the cleaning and let me know the results, and we can discuss further options if needed.

The back vents were vacuumed but the problem still exists. We will call the serviceman.Thanks for your help.

That would be the next step here.
But, you may want to hold off, as the persistence of the error would typically still suggest a faulty A board (control board).

At the low end, just to fix the fan, you can expect to be in the $100 range. For a new main board you could be up around $500 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for a 2009 model that is already beyond its designed service life. You could get a brand new and updated LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range which will usually be the better long term investment.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Helpful but seemed to have a long time to get answers back and forth. His advice was 5 but length of time and having to pay a deposit despite a free offer is a 1. I just hope there is no problem in getting my deposit back.

Hi Maggie,

The primary delay is because I was awaiting additional information to be sent by you, otherwise I would have provided additional information sooner.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Ok 5. My question is how do I not be charge $59 for a service I do not wish to have. Just answer took the more expensive claim as a deposit and I only wish to have the once only free service. Maggie Crowe

There is no part of this service that would be entirely free.

You paid a deposit to post your question, having agreed to the terms and conditions of the site to pay the balance of your agreed upon amount upon receiving an answer.

You may have saw an offer for a free trial, meaning if you opted to subscribe to a monthly membership, the first week of it (and this question) would then be covered. If you opt not to subscribe, then you are billed the corresponding amount as a one time fee.

Had you taken the printer in to a repair shop, you'd be paying a $100 diagnostic fee for the exact same outcome.