TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

, I am out of town and my wife said our Toshiba TV is…

Customer Question
I am out of...

I am out of town and my wife said our Toshiba TV is stuck on, with picture, no sound, She cannot do anything with remote or with controls on the TV set itself. She cannot reach the plug to unplug it and she cannot get to breaker box because its storming outside. Is there anyway to reset it or turn it off without unplugging it?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
1/27/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 2 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , let me know when you`re ready ?

you can try, but i am not at home, trying to help my wife remotely

No problem , this may be simpler than you think .

Are you saying that she has picture but no sound ?

She has picture with no sound, remote control will not do anything and controls on side of TV will not do anything either. She cannot reach the power plug either

Tell her to unplug the cable box power if she can (cable box only) for 30 secs and just turn off the tv in the mean time .

It is highly likely the cable box is causing this and a reboot usually does it .

By the way , some cable box can be unplugged directlt at the back of it instead of the wall outlet .

Sorry but this has to be done , it needs a reboot

There is no cable box. I do not have cable. I have Amazon Fire Stick and an amplified antenna.

O.k and the sound went on everything ??

Just like that without anything being changed ?

Sorry , the web site is mixed up

Not sure what happen but i`m still with you

I think internet went out and since it is a smart TV i think it tried to reconnect to wifi and when it couldnt it somehow got locked. The picture is playing with motion but no sound. she cannot reach wall outlet as it is behind the TV on the wall. Cannot do anything with remote or controls on side of TV and cannot use breaker box to cut power as it is outside in the rain right now.
is there anyway to cut power other than unplugging TV or hitting the breaker?

O.k then was about to suggest the breaker but now that is out

I don`t suppose a model number would be possible either ?

i do not have it with me. It is 55 inch toshiba LED, 2 years old, smart TV

Sorry but this time I will opt out for real and repost your question , I don`t see how the tv could be rebooted beside pulling out the power cord if it does not respond to anything .

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in if anyone has an idea.

ok, thanks for trying. Have a good night
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you get the full model number?

What is the tv plugged into? I realize she can't reach the outlet, but is it perhaps plugged into a power strip or surge protector that she could reach the switch or plug for?

No. She's tried everything. I have to loosen tv from bracket and lift it halfway off to unplug it. I give up until the rain stops. Thanks for trying

No problem, take as long as you need.

In the meantime though, she might try just pressing and holding the power button (on the side of the tv itself) for about 30 seconds, and see if that makes a difference.

Nathan, Installer