Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Just recently the Samsung light effect on the lower tv frame

Customer Question

Just recently the Samsung light effect on the lower tv frame effect will not turn on. I have gone into the menu settings and changed the light effect to stay on while watching tv and even all the time but it has not turned on. The only recent change I made was adding a optical audio out to receiver to watch Netflix/Amazon prime to prevent cable box tv sound coming through. I don't know if this change impacts the light effect. I have also reset the once and it came back on the next day. I had some receiver/remote adjustments to correct the receiver/tv settings and the light is off again. Reset and now waiting to see what happens. Any thoughts on what is going on and what can be done? If there is a lose bulb or bulb connection how hard is it check? Does it need a new bulb? If so what bulb and how can one change?
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm not sure of the Samsung light effect - do you mean backlighting? and what sort of TV do you have (LED, plasma, etc.), or what model is it?

As for things/settings that you reset, and that come back next day, that's simple: you changed a setting, but did not make it a default, so when the TV is next turned On (e.g. the next morning) it will be back to the old setting value.

Whether using the optical audio would cause the light effect to turn Off, is doubtfully possible, but I would need to know the model # ***** your Samsung TV first, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light effect is the lighted Samsung logo that is on the lower tv frame. It is led lit logo. The tv is a Samsung un46es8000f.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So - to double-check that I have understood you correctly - the lighted logo that went out, is one *outside* the TV screen, or below it. Is that the case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lighted logo is not in the screen. It is on the frame. Specifically on the bottom part of the frame. I have attached a pic as well for reference.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I see.

Go into the TV's menus, and go to

Menu

System

General

Light effect

Always

and see if it comes On that way.

Has it *ever* been On, since you first noticed it was Off ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell,
I did follow this before process before asking for help from you. It has come on once since it went off. Don't know why it went out, came back on and then has stayed off. Any thoughts or is it a lose connection or bad bulb? If it is a bad bulb or connection can you provide advise on tightening the connection or replacing the bulb? Or is this another setting that needs to be changed?
Thanks,
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If it came On once after settings were changed, then it might be a setting, but is not a defective bulb.

It might be a bad connection, too, though.

To do anything about the 'bulb' (it might be a bright LED light) in its socket or seating etc., or to examine or repair the connection if that's the problem, you would need to take the TV apart some. The question about that, before you begin, is: Is the TV still within its warranty coverage period? because if so, it would be better (in some cases at least) to not disassemble it, since that voids the warranty. Which could be an expensive proposition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is still under warranty any longer for being a 2012 model. Is there a disassemble procedure and/or bulb part I need to order. Any input would be appreciated.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I think disassembly comes first.

But unfortunately I don't know quite how it's done on this model. To have a chance of disassembling it easily, and a chance of finding out what part # ***** light/bulb (or any similar part that needs replacing) is, you would be well-advised to obtain a service manual for this model of TV, or this model line.

Would you be interested in doing things that way? if so, I will search for sources (free perhaps, but more likely with a slight charge) of a service manual for your TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Would it be possible to get the part numbers and procedure? This is a link to the service manual I found. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/803127/Samsung-Un46es8000f.html
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

First of all (referencing the manual) the Static Precautions on page 1-4 should be read through, and observed at all times when dealing with components (as opposed to when dealing with fasteners/screws or case parts, which being vinyl and non-electronic, are exempt from those precautions.)

Disassembly/reassembly is section (3) of the manual, page 31 of 79 as viewed in a PDF file viewer application.

The first thing you do, the very first, is unplug the TV! and leave it that way for the duration, and in fact it's safer if you delay opening it after unplugging it, for a half hour or so.

Place face down on a padded table, remove 6 screws that hold the stand on, remove the stand.

Then remove 8 case screws (see illustration.)

Remove the Rear Cover (minding two sharp spots on it.)

At which point, a pause... I need to find what the module that contains the LED or other lights that has (mostly) gone out, is, part # ***** how to get at it, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u find out about the module that contains the led, part number and the procedure to get at it?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I cannot find out which one it is.

The location of it is the same as the Base, behind which it is located. That's location SB04, in the service manual. No part, aside from the base, is listed in that location by that service manual.

Do you have any idea what the part # *****? I presume not, since you have not yet disassembled the TV.

Would you be willing to try doing a Factory Settings Reset on the TV (That would infallibly erase all settings of yours on it... but might, just might, restore the function of the light.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset tv. Unfortunately no luck in getting light effect back. Any other info on parts or bulb?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

No, unfortunately.

Did the reset of the TV erase your settings?

If not, it wasn't a proper Factory Settings Reset.

Disassembling the TV... involves removing the outer case, probably removing the stand first though. And the very first thing, if it is mounted on a wall or propped up on or in a table or entertainment center furniture, is the lay it face down on a padded table (so that the front of the screen is neither dented nor scratched nor otherwise damaged.)

Once you have removed the stand on the bottom (assuming it has one) then getting the front lower bezel or case off, revealing the parts underneath and the part with the light and the connectors and wires to that light, is the next step. Examining the connectors and wires for looseness, breaks, abrasion and/or crimping damage, is the next step. Then, if there are any part #s visible on the light or its module, note them down, stop there, and let me know.