TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Copy tv shows to computer? How to hookup?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, What's the model number off the back of the Coby TV?

Also, does your computer have an HDMI pot, or only the standard 15 pin VGA?

I will need specifics to help you here.

Computer has hdmi pot.
The TV is a Olevia lcd 242-s11

Oh it's an Olevia? You mentioned "Copy" tv, not sure what that was.

I guess the computer corrected the spelling.

You would run an HDMI cable from the computer to the Olevia TV's "HDMI/DVI" port, then select "HDMI/DVI" using the source button on the Olevia.

In your computer's settings, select "Connect to external display" to get the picture on the TV (if it does not come up automatically).

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Ok I'm hooking up the hdmi cable to the computer and the tv

Okay sounds good.

Ok got the hdmi cable in both know what

I posted the instructions above- can you see them? Scroll up the page to see all replies and follow those instructions.

Please note that the question was to copy a TV show to the computer not show what is on the computer on the tv screen

Oh, you can't do that without video editing software and a TV that supports AV output which your TV does not. That was why I thought you had posted "Coby tv shows to computer"- meaning the TV shows a hookup to a computer. No you cannot copy TV shows to a computer. You need an external tuner or DVD recorder in order to be able to do that and then you also need video editing software I'm afraid.

Ok so it can't be done is your answer?

The answer was that additional equipment is needed. If you need specifics on what is needed then let me know.

Sorry your answer is not really helpful. I reread my question and there was no mistake since it was clear that I wanted to copy a tv show to my computer.

Okay, good luck.

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. If you still need help with this, I'd be happy to give you more information.

Can you tell me specifically HOW you are getting your tv stations currently? (Antenna, basic cable, cable box, satellite, etc)?

Do you have content on an existing DVR and you're looking to transfer it to the computer for archiving, putting on a cd/dvd, etc? Or are you actually looking to edit the tv content somehow?