TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Sony UHD XBR55850C 2015 w/ BDP-S7200 blu ray 3D player. my

Customer Question

Sony UHD XBR55850C 2015 w/ BDP-S7200 blu ray 3D player.
my passive glasses fail. What glasses for this combination? Active?
The B/Ray 3D Martian was only viewable in 2D. Help.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

They do use passive as you already know, but are they the TDG-500P glasses?

And have you tried "front and center" of the TV just to make sure you're not too far off-angle?

The next thing I'd try is another 3D disc in your library that you KNOW works.

Lastly, if you just set this up ..don't trust the HDMI cable is HDMI 1.4 if you've owned it for a long time. Gotta get that 3D signal off the Disc and into your TV set, and that's what HDMI 1.4 does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are TDG-500P glasses. Used front and center.
Cable is new: Mediabridge ULTRA series HDMI. Hi speed supports Ethernet,3D, and audio return. Supports all 2.0 functions. Cable is connected to Denon receiver.
When disc starts, a message appears on screen that says 3D signal received. The picture is in fuzzy 3D image without glasses and with. I also tried Avatar disc with same results. Thanks, Mike
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have to update --

Order the TDG-BT500A glasses and they work great with the XBR-55x850c. The only problem is initially learning how to pair them with the TV. You need to leave the glasses turned off until the TV is broadcasting a clear 3D signal. Then, with the glasses pointed at the TV, press and hold the power button on the glasses until the power indicator light on the glasses starts to flash. Immediately release the power button and the glasses should be paired and work. The pairing is not remembered when you turn the glasses off so you need to repeat this procedure each time you want to use the glasses. Also, if something happens during the pairing process and its not completed successfully, you need to completely turn power to the glasses off and then repeat the pairing process (holding the power button until the light flashes). Hopefully this helps as I find inconsistent information about the 55 inch. By the way, active Bluetooth glasses...it'll produce the best 3D, considerably better than a passive display ever could. Just be glad your model is Bluetooth, not passive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll try TDG-BT500A
The specs say only compatible with Sony KDL-55W900A (?). but an Amazon customer comment said it worked with his set that is like mine.
I'll let you know. Mike
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, that's the conflict I see too. It's like your TV model doesn't exist...yet. Your model is pretty new in the Sony lineup.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 500A glasses arrived this afternoon from Amazon. I'll try them tomorrow.
Thanks.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

You know...That's the strangest thing about 3D. The LACK of information in one go-to spot. Sony, LG, Samsung...even Visio lack that info. Can't go to the instruction manual - and it should be there, listed in the specification page or the accessories page. I suspect the reason is that Sony builds TVs...not 3D glasses. So their supplier does that, AND they don't know what the glasses' model number will be.

There's only 3 types of glasses, they could simply state IR, Bluetooth or Passive in their information and make it easy.