TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-C4067UN. I can go thru to diff

Customer Question
***** *****, I...

***** *****, I have a Sharp Aquos LC-C4067UN. I can go thru to diff imputs, but no picture? Menu works, can change volume up and down (cant hear anything)

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Tv worked fine 2 days ago. Now it powers up, but nothing comes up. Have a Infinity service, nothing, have had an xbox connected, nothing

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
1/20/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are the inputs you are testing all hdmi?
Can you try connecting something (xbox) to one of the component/composite inputs and let me know if you can get picture/sound that way?

Sorry, don't have a cable to try. I have tried many different HDMI cables in diff inputs

We really need to be able to test another connection method to properly isolate the source of the problem.

The xbox should have came with some analog cables, as would any older cable box, vcr, etc. I'm referring to the red/white/yellow or red/green/blue cords. Can you check that?

connected red/white/yellow cable to cable box - then to tv on input 1 - pictures comes up but only in black and white, volume works. can not change channels.

Okay thank you for confirming, that is the info I needed to know.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a defective main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.