TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Vizio 40 in. smart tv {model # E400i-B2) (ser. #

Customer Question
I have a Vizio 40...
I have a Vizio 40 in. smart tv {model # *****) (ser. # *****) purchased in Sept. 2014 at Walmart. We have Dish network and recently the tv will shutdown automatically and just show a blinking light at the bottom left of the case. This light normally shows when you start the tv and disappears after a few seconds when the big 'V' for VIZIO appears. After the blinking light comes on you cannot adjust the set unless you unplug the electricity and wait anywhere from 1 hour to several hours. Do you have any ideas what the problem is so I can tell a tv repairman because they can find no problem?
Thanks,
Frank Daniels
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
1/19/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Frank.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a defective main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, for this brand.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. A new main board will run you about $75 (part only)

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and from a more reputable brand for under $300.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Nathan, Installer