TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Wd 57734, error code 66. recently replaced the lamp. worked…

Customer Question
wd 57734, error code 66...
wd 57734, error code 66. recently replaced the lamp. worked fine for about two months. now, when i turn it on, i can hear a high pitch "whine,' reaches a crescendo then "whines" down, does this about three times before the tv shuts itself off...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
1/19/2016
TV Technician: Steve G., Technician replied 2 years ago
Steve G., Technician

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Just so I understand, are you getting the 66 code now? I'm unclear.

Thanks.

Ok, that could be a bad ballast however if you are hearing an audible whine, that may be indicative of bad bearings in the color wheel. And, if that wheel does not spin up to the specified RPMs, the ballast will not fire the lamp.

Has the color wheel ever been replaced?

Let me know.

the wheel has never been replaced. ive read some online that suggests this, the ballast, and/or the fan... is there some troubleshooting that i could do in order to better determine which it actually is?

The fans are not going to be loud. The color wheel spins up to 9000RPM and can sound like a siren in some situations.

So with that info, does it sound like the wheel or a fan?

probably not a fan, unless the whining is friction from the fan.... how could we test the ballast?
also read online that "cleaning" the inside of the tv is a good idea?

If you have a meter, we can check out the ballast.

Do you have one?

If so, we first need to check the high voltage connection to the board.

Hold on while I get that info.

Ok, on the ballast you should have two connectors: CJ1 and CJ3.

You should have 340V DC across pins 1 and 3 of CJ3.

Let's check that first.

ok, ill have to wait until i get home to check....
what does the ballast even look like, ive never opened the tv up...just replaced the lamp....
im at work, sometimes these answers take time.... lets say this voltage is correct, what else could i do?

The voltage should always be present. The ballast is then triggered by 5V coming in on pin 3 of CJ3.

Having said all that, when the ballast strikes, there is a 'spark gap' on the ballast board and you should observe a visible 'flash'. Check that first. If there is a flash and the lamp doesn't strike, then it is your lamp - which is usually a 66 code anyway.

The ballast is located in the actual light engine adjacent the lamp.

I'll be here.

Hi, did we try to observe the spark gap?

I'd only taken the back off. How much more do I need to remove in order to see this spark? The whine seems to be coming from a circular, spinning object right behind the bulb housing... can't be 100% sure without getting an "overhead" view...
I couldn't see where cj3 or cj1 was...
Will you be available after five est? I'll be at work until then...

Yes. I will be available after 6EST.

Are you around?

Ok, I'm here. Sorry, the snow has me outside shovelling :)

I'm in for the night now.

So where did we get to? Have you identified the ballast?

I haven't yet

Ok, let me see if I can find a photo.

Ok, I found a video fo a V39 chassis which was the one after yours. The ballast is in the same spot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0arweAWnjE

Ok, the black and yellow wires are your 300+ VDC coming in. Set your meter to DC and measure that. You will need to turn on the TV.

Don't I have to expose the wires, slightly?

No. You stick the probes down through the top of the connector.

I'm not a big fan of those meters/testers but you would be looking for about 300V DC across the black and yellow. Can you get hold of a meter that measures voltage and displays it on a digital readout? A multimeter in other words.

Ha! I asked my friend for a multimeter and that is what he gave me to use. I thought it looked funny... I'll have to find one... thanks, ***** ***** gonna be tomorrow. When do you think you'll be available?

I'm emailed when you reply and try to get to a PC as soon as poss.

I'll be around for the remainder of the week.

Yes. That is perfrect. Home Depot and Lowes have meters under $30.

There 334v going to cj3...
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Steve G., Technician