TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Toshiba 57HC85 that powers up, red projector bulb…

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba 57HC85...
I have a Toshiba 57HC85 that powers up, red projector bulb lights screen for about five seconds with spaced, arced lines from upper R to lower L, and then tv powers off and indicator next to manual power button flashes. Removed all access panels, and everything is virtually dust-free. Fuses test good.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2016
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 2 years ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

- Do the green and blue bulb lit as well?

Thanks.

Manufactured Nov 2005. Problem just happened. Have had no work done on this set before, and worked fine until it powered off on its own about two weeks ago..Only the red comes on.I have to run a quick errand. Back in ten min's or so.

Thanks for the info, TV symptoms (arced lines from upper R to lower L) indicates failure of convergence out chips that need to be replaced to resolve the problem, please click following link to get convergence repair kit for this model that would contain required parts and detailed instructions about part replacement if you are looking to repair the TV yourself..

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/toshiba-57hc85-convergence-repair-kit.html

Since TV is quite old so it doesn't worth to take it in repair shop or call TV tech at home to get it repaired because it would cost more than TV worth so if you're not comfortable working on this TV yourself then you would be better off with a new replacement TV instead of investing on this old TV repair. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

I have been given a number of solutions for this repair. I agree that bringing it in or having a tech come out is cost-prohibitive. I have repaired hundreds of electric appliances - up to furnaces, and plan to do the work myself. If this (convergence chips) is the solution, I'll let you(and everyone else) know. Thank you.
The 'detailed images' in the kit are nothing like what I see. I get a solid red pic on the screen. I don't mind getting the $69 kit, but I don't want to spend $69 and have the same problem. You're confident this is the only solution?

I apologize on my mistake about reading the TV symptoms, please discard the previous answer.

Solid red screen with few arced lines from upper right to lower left on screen indicates the red bulb (picture tube) has got shorted internally and will be replaced.

Red picture tube (known as CRT) has got internal short where filament touch to cathode that turns the grid volts low and tube lit fully that caused current drain and over current protection circuit activates and switch Off the TV to avoid any damage in power supply or horizontal deflection section of TV.

I understand what that means. Thank you. I have access to tested parts locally thru a friend. I'll discharge capacitors and go at it. Will get back to you on outcomes. Thanks again.

Please click following link to download service manual copy of this TV that I uploaded for you and will help..

https://www.mediafire.com/?howwqjct262j4e3

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.

Good afternoon. I received a new bulb, inspected it(it was packaged very well for shipment), and replaced the bulb for the red spectrum. I plugged in the TV, and still have the same problem. The red lights up, flickers, and then the set shuts down after about five seconds. What's next? Thank you.