TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an old JVC tube tv and my son has autism and I need…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old JVC tube tv and my son has autism and I need to fix it. A black screen keeps popping up. Should I just go get a new one?

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Menu is stuck on the tv, but it's just a black screen of menu

Technician's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

In a rush, autism never waits. how do I pay?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

Can you please elaborate "a black screen of MENU" please? I don't know what that means.

Also can you get the model number off of the back of the TV?

it's so old that I can't see. Let me get a flashlight and lookjvc 36230
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

No thank you, ***** *****'t take a phone call right now. If you'd like to continue with me, then please reply back on this page to the info I requested above.

ok
jvc 36230

Thanks. Can you please elaborate "a black screen of MENU" please? I don't know what that means.

It's a black screen and looks like a screen over a screen and you see the regular channel and then a big black square over everything. I unplugged it and plugged it in, put new batteries in remote

Are you using a Cable Box with the set?

should I take off the box and see what happens. It doesn't do it when I watch a video

Have you rebooted your cable box as well, by unplugging it for 10 seconds?

rebooted the box

If it doesn't do it when you watch a Video- then your TV's fine. It's your cable box.

It's so strange that when a video is on the black square isn't there

Watching a video I assume meaning- from a DVD player, or VCR?

vcr

Your TV literally does not know the difference between the VCR signal, the cable box signal, or a game console. So if that black box is ONLY there when viewing cable- your cable box is at fault. Contact your cable company and have them swap your box. The fact that your VCR displays perfectly normal on the TV tells us your TV is not the cause of the problem (meaning it's fine).

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Can you wait while I try that?

I'm here all the time.

No, I changed the box with another one I had and then I took the cable directly from the wall and it shows the square again. I even took a portable tv I have and put the cable line in there and it is fine, no square
Still a black square on Tv.

How are you connecting the cable box to the TV- coaxial, AV cables, or?

There is an out wire and an in wire that are with the box

Coaxial (screw on) cable- YES?

screw on

That makes a difference. It means your TV is stuck in PIP mode.

How do we get it upstuck

Do you have the original JVC remote? It has a PIP button right on it.

I do.

Top of the remote, look at all the options for PIP (On/Move, channel up/down, etc.).

Try hitting On/Move and let me know what exactly the screen does.

I don't see any options for PIP, but I did put channels up and down and the black square is till there

It says PIP right at the top of your remote. I'm going to have to opt out at this point, someone else should be along to help.

thanks right now?
TV Technician: hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer replied 2 years ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer

Hello I am another expert. Please press the button called "Exit" which is to the right of the channel down button as shown in the picture below

​Please see you manual and the photo below

hongkongpom
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer