TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

2015 65in smart tv. Netflix worked fine, now will not

Customer Question

2015 65in smart tv. Netflix worked fine for months, now will not connect and has blank screen that says HDMI. Have read many posts with same issue. There must be a simple explanation and simple solution. Have seen 27 step solutions - thats ridiculous.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, If you have HDMI on the screen- then the TV's on the wrong source. When you press Smart Hub it should open the Smart hub- not have the TV stuck on HDMI. Are you saying you can't open the Smart Hub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Smart hub opens. Coose netflis and screen goes black and says hdmi. Many posts on this same issue if searched.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I don't need to Google search to be familiar with this. I was simply asking if the Smart Hub launched or not. If not, then you have a Mainboard fault in the TV that generally requires this board be replaced. There's only two things you can try on a user level before contacting Samsung for warranty service (you mentioned 2015 being the purchase year).

First, disconnect the TV from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 full seconds and release. Wait a minute and turn the TV back on then go into the TV's setup MENU and "reset to factory" defaults. Let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. the only reset I can find in the menu is "smart hub reset", Don't see anything saying "reset to factory".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Reset the Smart Hub first, and I will dig deeper if that does not work, as most all Samsung sets have a factory default reset. Let me know what happens after you reset Smart Hub (you will need to set it back up as well).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If that doesn't work then I will actually need the full model number off of the back of the set to look up specifics on this model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Did the smart hub reset. No change. This has been, and still is, a Netflix specific issue. Hulu works, web surfing works, for some reason Netflix goes black. The full model is: UN65HU8550thanks, Rich
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

What's wrong with your model number? I try UN65H65xx and I try UN65HU...no information comes up. Can you look at the sticker on the back of your TV and get the full model number? Take a picture of it, I always do. And NO...I am NOT ready to be rated. That's Just Answer locking the rating box so I can't turn it off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries about the rating, I have been dealing with this for two months - appreciate any help I can get regardless of how long it takes. I'll send the photo of the model.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, there are SOME apps that require the TV's software to be upgraded. Also there is a couple APPS upgrades that may correct your issue too.

Look at the picture below for the APPS upgrade information -

As for the TV's software, if you don't have Automatic updating set in your SUPPORT SECTION of your menu, you'll want to Update Now - select that. After you update that, then try the TV again after turning the TV off and then on again.

THEN...do the instructions shown in the picture. Hopefully that will correct your APP problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well... This is odd. The tv auto update was on, and it showed that I had the latest version. When I went to smarthub, there is not a menu item that displays all of the apps. There is a menu item that said "apps settings", but it did not display the individual apps. So I basically went through the entire menu looking for options to find the apps so that I could "press and hold enter" on the Netflix app, but could not come up with it. So, I opened smarthub, centered the cursor over Netflix, and pushed enter and held it down for 5 sec. Now it works... for the first time in two months.... And I am not convinced I really did anything! But, it works, and that's all that matters. Thank you for your help. Rich
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, Samsung sometimes makes subtle changes to their models and don't rewrite every service manual for each change...but I knew that Netflix also makes changes to their software too. They usually send those updates to Samsung to be updated. Anyways, always check Samsung's software updates first, THEN try the app updates last, As a rule.

I'd appreciate it if you would give me a good rating after helping you out.