Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My LG 42LE5400 displays "No signal" when I switch from Cable

Customer Question

Good morning
My LG 42LE5400 displays "No signal" when I switch from Cable to PC. Both units, cable box and PC, are connected to LG constantly. Week ago LG stopped recognizing PC: when I switched from HDMI1 (Cable) to HDMI2 (PC), I saw black screen with "No signal" logo. I've checked all HDMI cables, tried another HDMI cable, tried HDMI3 and HDMI4 - no result. Then I've plugged this PC to another TVs, Samsung and Sharp - worked perfectly.
I've also run Firmware update on my LG - did not help either.
Can I get any advises, or workaround steps?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , let me know when you`re ready ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Here are a few things to try and check ;

Does the cable box work if you connect it in the same port used by the PC ?

Does your PC see the tv as a second (or first ) monitor in the screen resolution menu ?

If using a laptop try to shutdown the lid and see if it comes up on the tv ?

Reboot the PC with the tv set to it and watch the screen and if a desktop pc , disconnect other monitors .

This tv has a RGB IN (PC) input , have you tried it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Jack
I've tried all steps you proposed - connected laptop and cable box to a different port(s), my laptop can see TV as external monitor, laptop used to work OK with shutt down lid, until HDMI problem popped up, laptop was rebooted several times with and without TV lugged in. And yes, my TV has RGB, and I've connected laptop to it, and it working OK.
My MAIN problem - LG HDM "blindness" to laptop, while my other sets, Samsung and Sharp, are working just fine.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry , got locked on another post while waiting for your reply

Can you confirm that the HDMI inputs are working (beside the laptop) ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

When you say that the laptop sees the tv , does it recognize it as LG and sets it to (recommended) resolution ?

Was anything changed lately in your video settings /drivers etc. ?

Can you restore the laptop prior to this when it was working ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDMIs are working. I have 2 sources - Cable and PC. I've plugged Cable in every HDMI - and its working fine.
I did not change anything in my settings. HDMI stopped working out of the blue.
Laptop sees LG as generic external display through RGB.
I do not need to restore laptop to any stage, because I bought it in July 2015, and its dedicated to TV ONLY.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes but if some program changed things or your software got corrupted then a restore bring things back to what they were , computers are not impervious to software changes , they are the worse .

Never mind that for now anyway

You said you see the tv with the RGB cable , I was asking with the HDMI cable connected ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, HDMI is disconnected now, and RGB is plugged in.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You tried everything I was asking with the HDMI cable disconnected ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m sorry but i will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've played with HDMI, cable and laptop yesterday. I've tried any possible combination. Finally, I connected it with RGB.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, if you out of solutions, I'll live with it as is.
Thanks anyway