TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have a pioneer elite plasma tv. Just bought a Roku stick to…

Have a pioneer elite...

Have a pioneer elite plasma tv. Just bought a Roku stick to get amazon streaming. Keep getting an error message CEC 100. Can't seem to get it to shut off...

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Everything works fine but keep getting the error message "V shows a pop-up window with : error code CEC 100 Plasma Display - Unable to operate unit - check connections- displays briefly but the unit seems to work.

Technician's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Forgot to mention that stick is plugged into my Denon receiver so I get surround.
Everything works great, I just can't get the error message to stop from hitting my screen every 2 minutes. It comes on when I use cable or apple TV now too. Only started once I plugged in Roku though and never had the problem before.
1/10/2016
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

What's the full model number off of the back of the Pioneer plasma?

What's the model number of the Denon?

Have you tried a new HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV yet (most common cause of this)?

Also have you tried unplugging EVERYTHING from power, and also the connecting cables between devices, then plugging everything back in, and turning the system on from scratch?

If not, then please give that a shot and let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

I will try these things and get back to you. Never had the problem before until I plugged the Roku in. Not sure if I have an extra HDMI cable but will see what I can do. Will update you shortly on the model numbers

I understand, but the fact that you have the problem now means something needs to be tried to rectify it. It's not uncommon for these problems to materialize when there's some sort of catalyst (in this case- plugging the Roku into the receiver). Let me know what you find.

Ok- Pioneer is a pro 1150HD
Denon is a AVR x2100I have plugged the wireless Roku into the "DVD" HDMI of the Denon as no picture was showing in the Aux receptacles

Okay please try the things I posted above, as they are the first steps in troubleshooting. Again:

tried it all including putting different HDMI cable and no luck as the message still flashes across my screen...

Have you tried resetting the processor of the Denon yet?

It's outlined on page 227 of the manual at the link below (note: You will need to perform a fresh setup of the Denon after doing this):

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20150527134700/Manuals/033/033AVX2100.PDF

I just unplugged the Roku and it is no longer showing error message so it has to be the Roku. It is the basic Roku. Will the upper end Roku or perhaps the Amazon firestick be more comparable?

Okay I understand. Unfortunately that message generally indicates the HDMI version of the device being connected is not compatible with the TV. These TV's are no longer made and there are no firmware updates to update the HDMI version. However as a quick TEST, can you please plug the roku directly into the TV (bypassing the receiver) to see if the message still shows on the screen?

Ok- did that and error message is back so you are correct. The TV is old. It still works great though. Apple TV and all other devices work well with it. Do you know if using a higher level Roku or perhaps the amazon firestick will work without this problem or is it a crapshoot? Main reason we added Roku to Apple TV was to get access to Amazon video.

Thank you, ***** ***** general it's going to be trial and error- there's no way to "cross-reference" HDMI versions, or to know what versions are being used currently by Roku or Amazon. I would say that the Roku is probably going to be the same across the board, so I personally would give the Amazon Fire TV box, or stick a shot here.

Aric, Technician