TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I just installed X1 and now have an issue with my Toshiba

Customer Question
Hi. I just installed...
Hi. I just installed X1 and now have an issue with my Toshiba 40G300u3. It keeps turning itself on!! I see others have had this problem. So I have updated the firmware (and reset to factory settings), changed HDMI cables, Put Regza Link through every combination, and STILL the TV powers itself on about every half hour. I spent the entire day yesterday on the phone with Comcast, and they could not solve it. Any ideas? This is crazy!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
1/10/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This is unfortunately a common issue, but I've seen it only with toshiba models so far, and it has been almost exclusively with these comcast boxes, too.

As a diagnostic test, can you please disconnect the x1 box and hook something else up (dvd player, etc) and let me know if it still has the same issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a DVD player. Or a gaming console.

How about a small antenna?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have anything to hook up. I'm sorry. Other ideas?

We can skip past this, if you had no problems with the prior box.

I can tell you with the issue is - it is coming from a stray hdmi communication issue with the new x1 box. This is a glitch in the hdmi control protocol, and just disabling the regza link function is really the only thing you can do. The x1 box does not officially support hdmi control, so there is no adjustment on this. I've experienced this same exact issue many times before, and the only way you will be able to resolve it is to either use alternate connections (component video) instead of hdmi OR to ask comcast to provide you with a different model box.

Nathan, Installer