TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I was given a Panasonic LDC TV, Model TC-26LX20, "Viera" to

Customer Question
replace my old analog Sanyo...
I was given a Panasonic LDC TV, Model TC-26LX20, "Viera" to replace my old analog Sanyo TV. I do not have cable/disc TV or an outside antenna. Since HDTV came out years ago, I connected through an RCA DTV receiver, and I have used a tabletop antenna. Service hasn't been optimum, but adequate for me. With this "new" TV, I disconnected the UHF connection from the Sanyo and attached it to the Viera. As this was the only thing connecting directly to the Sanyo, I assumed this would be the same for the Viera. Now all I get, however, is static. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
1/9/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a question ;

That RCA converter box , does it have audio/video outputs beside that vhf cable ?

What you call your RCA DTV receiver , does it have a model number ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
plug into VCR/DVD player
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DTA800B1L

Sorry haven't had time to pull out the manual for this tv but that DVD/VCR is that an input on the tv ?

Why do you want to do the PROGRAM CH ?

Thanks , give me a minute please

Is this the tv`s correct model number , TC-26LX20 ??

If so , I cannot see hdmi inputs on it like you mentioned aboved .

Nt that we would be using it but it would be nice for me if I could work with the correct model number

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Operating instruction is for TC26LX20 TC32LX20, not sure which this is.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is straight out of the box.

Yes I got that but that model does NOT have a HDMI input so it cannot give you that choice when you press the tv /video button

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I'm old school, so I don't know what HDMI means.

In any case your rca does not have hdmi , only coaxial out and the rca audio/video .

From what you were saying about the vhf cable you are using coaxial , do you happen to have an audio/video (red/white/yellow) cable ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cables connected to back of RCA are red, white, yellow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you suggesting that I no longer need RCA, that I plug those cables directly into Viera?

O.k and where are they on the tv ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only thing connected to TV is the coaxial and power source.

I have no idea what you are saying here you mentioned dvd/vcr and now viera which is the brand of the tv but I can show you what you need to do .

Here is a picture of how you need to connect your DTV box and tv , click the link below;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxsxgvamf7b160j/2016-01-08_2211.png?dl=0

By the way , if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The picture is behind that .

You can discard the coaxial and use the INPUT 1 on the tv and that will be fine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, so Im just removing the old RCA device altogether since it apparently isn't needed with this new TV, right?

NO , you need to keep that box , this tv is not capable of picking up the digital channels alone , that's why I was showing you that connection between the box and tv

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, so I leave the RCA connections as they are, then WHAT connects to the TV?

I wish that box brand was not RCA as it gets confused between the RCA cable and RCA box so from now on please lets call that RCA box the DTV box shall we ?

Now if you look at the link I gave you , I showed you where the DTV box connect into the tv using RCA red/white/yellow cables .

What does that mean leave the connection as they are , where ae they now anyway if not connected to the tv ???

Am I missing something here ?

You simply connect the output of the DTV box into INPUT 1 on the tv and you`re done , nothing could be simpler

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Earlier I stated that I simply unplugged the coaxial from the old Sanyo and plugged into the new Panasonic. I did NOT remove any of the connection to the DTV box. So, what I mean is that, if I understand, you do not want me to disconnect any of the cables from the DTV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cables currently go from DTV to DVD player. (There were no cables from DVD to old Sanyo.)

Now the dvd player was never mentioned anywhere and hence the confusion here .

I`m sorry but i will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .
Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, With this new TV you need to connect the antenna directly to the TV's coaxial Input then you need to run a full setup of the TV- meaning you have to select Antenna, and then run a Channel scan in order to get programming and no snowy screen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do I select "antenna"?

Looking now.

Click the link below and scroll to page 22. Look where it says :

"Program Channels---> Mode: TV/Cable".

Click there and instead of Cable, you should be able to select Antenna.

Make sure you have the RCA DTV box disconnected and connect the antenna directly to the TV's antenna port (this is important).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I select PROGRAM CH, nothing happens. It is highlighted yellow, but no response when I hit the central blue OK button.

Change over to ANT, did you do that yet? Did you remove the DTV box yet? Please elaborate on the rest of all that I've posted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Clarification, Jack said NOT to disconnect DTV box. So I'll disconnect ALL cables from DTV and set aside, moving connection directly to TV?

I understand. Please scroll up to see all of MY replies- as I am working with you now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again, you want me to completely remove DTV box from the circuit, and go directly to TV? Yes or no.

Simply referring to the DTV box, connect the Antenna DIRECTLY to the TV's antenna jack as I've stated several times above.

You are then setting the TV to the TV Input and selecting Antenna, and running the program. The TV will not do this unless on the TV Input, and also the antenna connected directly to the TV. No DTV box,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've moved the coaxial long ago. I'm just concerned about all the other 5 connections on the DTV (only)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correction, 4 connextions (5th was coaxial)

Remove the DTV box completely- you're not using it to view channels on the TV.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it!

Okay very cool. Run through the steps I posted above and then try to scan and let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dumb question--so you want me to plug the cables that I unplugged from DTV into back of new TV?

Let's start over. What all do you have to connect to the TV? Is there a VCR/DVD player?

If so, what is the Brand and Mode of that player?

Also you have one other thing to connect to the TV- and that is an Antenna correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Go Video VCR/DVD player. You are correct, the antenna is the ONLY thing currently plugged directly intoi TV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model VR9490 (Go Video)

Okay the GoVideo player is separate. Let's work on just getting you channel to the TV. For this, just leave the antenna connected to the TV- nothing else.

Put the TV on the "TV" Input.

Then go to page 22 of the manual, and follow those specific instructions to program channels (but set the TV to "ANTENNA"- instead of Cable).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Running Auto Program now....

Okay great.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finished auto program, now defaults to manual program...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Static in background

Were you able to select Antenna before running the scan?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My only choices are "TV" and "Cable", so i selected TV

That is correct. It's also strange as the TV's tuner should be able to pull in DTV channels.

Let's go ahead and plug the antenna into the DTV box again. Then run a coaxial cable from the DTV box to the TV's ANT Input jack.

Go ahead and run the scan again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Running scan again..

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same result, PROGRAM CHANNELS menu defaults to MANUAL PROGRAM with static in background.

Okay that doesn't make any sense unless this TV's tuner is faulty.

It appears you're going to need a DTV box with RCA connections on it, as the TV's failed running a scan with both connections and this would only happen if the TV's tuner is not functional.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am only doing exactly what you tell me to do, nothing more, nothing less. I did not connect any of the other cables back to the DTV box.

I'm not saying you didn't. I'm saying that with the way I most recently said to connect it- antenna to DTV box Input, and coaxial from DTV box Output to TV- you should be getting channels. If you are not, with those specific connections, then the TV's tuner is faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can it be replaced?

Yes, but it's around a $200 repair- and instead of doing that, it would be more cost effective to get a different DTV tuner that has RCA red,white and yellow connections. Then you can bypass the TVs tuner and connect it to the TV using the AV jacks instead.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have red, white, yellow cables that were attached before, how about if I plug them back in now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what an AV jack is)

Just to make sure- we're talking about the DTV box by RCA having those correct?

If so, then yes plug those into the same colored jacks on the TV and then simply select the AV/Video Input on the TV (AV= Red,White and Yellow RCA jacks).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need to replace the coaxial with the one that goes directly to antenna? That is, again remove COMPLETELY the RCA DTV box.

Antenna cable from antenna directly to DTV box.

Red,White,Yellow RCA cables directly from DTV box to TV- that is it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now Im confused--so I am removing red,white,yellow from Go Video DVD player and going directly from DTV to TV?

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Aric, Technician