TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Magnavox 26MF 231 D/37 that has no power...no

Customer Question
lights at all, doesn't want...
I have a Magnavox 26MF 231 D/37 that has no power...no lights at all, doesn't want to power "on".
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2015
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Does power indicator light turn On or blink when press power button on TV?

- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see no power light at all. date of manufacture is July "06.

Thanks for the info, this kind of problem occurs due to failure of power supply board in TV so main board where controller chip is mounted doesn't get volts to work/ function and TV got no power, no life sign at all.

It needs to check standby 5V DC output on power supply board connector that goes to main board of TV to make sure this diagnosis, then get the part number off of power supply board to search/ google to get price info to order it, required power supply board part number would be as follows..

Magnavox 313815864901 (31381036282) Power Supply Unit - click following link to view the board image which will help to locate it in TV..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-313815864901-top_1.jpg

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have replaced the power board...twice, with the correct "part" #....still no power at all!

Well, this is new info, have you checked standby volts with multimeter that goes to main board?

If standby available then I'm afraid you have defective main board in TV which controls all the functions including power On-Off as I mentioned in previous reply that main controller chip isn't working, if this chip is getting voltage supply yet not working then it has definitely got internal failure and main board of TV will be replaced to resolve the problem.

Main board part number would be as follows written on label pasted on board..

Philips 313815866861 (31381036284) Main Board

Philips 313815864951 (31381036284) Main Board

Please click following link to view main board image..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-313815866861-top.jpg

Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have replaced the "main board", also using the correct part #, nothing. I have used a different power cord..replaced the power button, still nothing. I really want this set to work but I have spent enough on this set to try and fix it, I could have gotten a new one. is there "something" I haven't checked or replaced that I should have?

It needs to verify the power board as first thing to make sure TV is getting volts, can you try a new AC Power Cord and make sure to plug it in working wall outlet then check standby volts on pins of connector on power board that is going to main board to troubleshoot the issue properly?

I think both boards replacement info should have been intimated in initial question to start the troubleshooting process properly.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the process to check "standby" voltage on connecting cable from power board to main board? and yes I have tried a different power cable.

It needs a multimeter, set the meter to DC Volt range, touch black lead to metal chassis of TV for ground and use red lead to touch a pin of connector ( one pin at a time) to get volts reading available at that pin, this way you would know if power board has standby 5V output for main board to awake/ function.

Thanks.

Just to add more info, Power supply board consist of two sections, one calls standby and other calls main power. Standby section activates as soon as you plug the working power cord to TV to generate 5V that goes to main controller chip on main board to wake it up, now main controller chip sends Power On command back to power supply to turn On main power section when press power button on TV or its remote to provide other required volts such as 12V, 18V or 24V etc so other sections/ boards in TV start working to bring light/ picture on screen and sound in speakers.

I hope these info will help. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks, ***** ***** try that.

OK, please take your time and reply back with the results.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done all that, .....nothing. do you have access to seeing a diagram of the connections between the power board and the main board?

Did you get standby 5V DC reading on meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so. for the best that I know about that meter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I may not have the right kind.

OK, I need to go offline now so let me repost this question to other experts to have a look, hopefully some one will soon assist you further.

I'm opting out so do not rate my answers and leave them as it is.

Thanks.

TV Technician: Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman replied 1 year ago
Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Have you tested the power cable itself on the TV?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tested the power cord. I have tried different power cords with no good results.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if you could tell me...is there a specific connecting cable between the power board and the main board on this particular set??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HELLO!!!!!!

You replied 12 hours after I had, I was not online. You do not need to wait for me to reply the site should notify you when I do.

Can you send me a picture of the entire back of the set that includes all boards please?

It is possible you are missing a ribbon cable but I can not tell from these images.

Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman