TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have Mistubishi wd-82738 82" that stopped working after

Customer Question
Hi there! I have Mistubishi...
Hi there! I have Mistubishi wd-82738 82" that stopped working after lightning storm, when I plug tv to wall, the front led blinking 5 quick green and then 7 slow red and I hear relay clicking every three seconds , I tested the power on all pins in power supply, the 5 and 12 and 15 and 340v are there only for a second after relay clicks then they go back to 0 but the 5v, so every time the relay clicks I get the right power on pins but for very short time, any help? thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
12/31/2015
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.

Front led blinking 5 quick green and then 7 slow red error code indicates ballast board failure or loss of communication between main board and ballast board, TV goes to protection mode because of hardware failure so power supply turns Off when protection mode kicks in. 5V is standby volts so it remains constant.

I would replace ballast board as first thing in TV to resolve the problem, its part number is ***** and substitute part number is ***** that can be used to search/ google to get price info to order it.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your respond Shahid! just to give your more information to make it more clear, I took the power supply and main board out of the tv and plugged them to wall but I still hear the relay clicking, I'm just thinking if the problem from the ballast so why the power supply still clicking even after separated it from all tv boards but the main board? for example, lets say I bought new power supply and main board and connected them to ac, I will still hear relay clicking?? Also, I checked to codes on service manual and they said that ballast failure code is green and yellow not green and red, please make this clear to me, thank you so much for your help!

TV has self-diagnostic feature that check various things during boot up process, if found any error then will shut down the power supply and you hear relay click which disconnect the AC power going to main power supply section, standby power section works as soon as TV power cord is plugged in and standby volts goes to main processor chip so it can work/ function (boot up and self diagnostic checkers etc).

I think I jumped to the gun bit quickly and didn't realize the error code colors. Error code would be in red-yellow blinks, green blinks means TV is booting up. So can you please recheck the status light again, leave the green blinks aside and focus on red-yellow blinks to get error code.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
whenever I connect the power cord to wall I get 5 green then 7 red and it start over and over same way, so if we ignore the green so the code will be 7 red!

Please put the power and main boards in TV, replug all the connectors then get the error code.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how to get error code? the tv is dead and the led blinking green and red as I told you!

As you mentioned you took power and main board out of TV to test them, I thought both boards are still out of TV, have both boards put back in and TV is assembled?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir, they are in tv now as I put them back and hoped some magic may happens but it still the same! no magic!!

ah Ok, 7 red isn't any valid error code so lets try to get valid error code from TV.

Please remove lamp cover at back of TV and turn it On, does the status LED now blink in yellow?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope, it still the same, blinking green and red!

Let me explain, self diagnostic circuitry (built in main processor chip) gets feedback from various things in TV while in boot up process and green light keeps flashing during that time. Error code must be in red and yellow flashing, since TV only shows red flashing light (7 times) that is invalid error code and indicates main board failure as it could happen due to lightning strike/ high static charge of lightning. Please disregard the ballast board failure answer as I didn't realize the flashing light color which was my mistake, sorry about it. We tried to get valid error code by removal of lamp cover but TV did the same, flashing red light only whereas it should blink in yellow.

It seem main board of TV is defective and causing the problem, please check following supplier link to view main board price info..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-934c381001-main-board.htm

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought the fuse is the first thing will blow if any problem happened in the circuit, I checked the fuse on the main board and it was working fine which made me confused, I'm gonna ask the question again and I hope you can answer me, lets say you bought brand new power supply with main board and you plugged them to ac power, will the relay keep clicking over and over? I worked on many power supplies before but I never saw such a thing, please let me know, thanks

Yes, power supply will keep clicking if only power and main board connected out of TV because main board isn't getting several feedback signals from different things in rest of TV such as color wheel, cooling fans on light engine, missing data communication with ballast board and formatter board, lamp door sensor switch signal etc.

Clicking of power supply isn't a problem as its just a result and indication of other problem in TV. Right now TV main board seems bad and should be replaced to move forward in troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I'm gonna order the mainboard and will let you know as soon as I received it. I hope they have return policy in case it still not work. thank you for your help, talk to you later..

Sure, please take your time, hopefully the supplier has board return policy.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Happy New Year! thanks

Thanks :-)

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician