TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Cannot power on my samsung led tv, it is only year old, 2

Customer Question
Customer: cannot power on my...
Customer: cannot power on my samsung led tv, it is only year old, 2 months out of warranty and I am researching how to repair. it doesnt appear to have capacitors, it gives me 4 blinking red lights after trying to power on, then if I try and change channels or do anything with remote, red light blinks several times.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it wont power on, no video or audio.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'll get back to you when I have more time. THanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
12/29/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Offhand every electronic device made has capacitors, but it is not the only thing (or even the most common) cause of failure in a TV.

What is the model number off of the back of the Samsung please?

Also, what do you mean "4 blinking red lights"? Do you mean the red light blinks 4 times after you press the power button?

Does the screen light up?

Please elaborate and we can proceed.

hello, model number UN48H6350AFXZA, Samsung, 48 inch tv, naturally, it only did the 4 blinks one time for me. each time I try and power on and do anything with remote the red light just flashes

Thank you. Please unplug the TV and plug it back in- listen for any relay clicking.

Then manually press the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) once- and let me know everything that the TV does or does not do.

ok, give me a second to do that

Okay.

ok, when I plugged it back in and turned power on from tv, red light binked 5 times (slowly), then stopped and nothing else. No sound or clicking at all.
then after few seconds, red light stays on....

Okay no flash of light from the screen at all- no backlights?

if you consider the dark blue flash that comes on screen, then it goes black. there is fluorescent lighting on the back of tv

Okay this is important- the screen is either black like the set were OFF, or backlight. So you're saying the screen does remain backlit after pressing power once correct?

then it returns to black screen after few seconds

Okay these symptoms are not conclusive enough to determine if the power supply board or the mainboard are at fault. If you want to narrow it down further you will need a multi-meter to measure the DC voltages off of the power supply (standby- 5 volts, LCD controller 12 volts, and high voltage LED outputs). The mainboard sends the turn on and off commands to the power board, so they work in tandem to power the set on and keep it on. If you don't have a multi-meter then the layman's approach is to purchase both the power board and mainboard and replace one at a time until the set functions. This is still much cheaper than having a tech repair the set.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Replacement boards (power supply and mainboard respectively) can be purchased through: http://www.tvpartsguy.com and also http://www.shopjimmy.com

I figured it was one or the other, the main board or power supply. I will check with my husband to see if he has the meter to detect voltage. Will have to order these parts....Not real satisfied with Samsung...since TV is only 14 months old. Thanks for your help. Will let you know how it goes.

I understand, and I would not purchase a Samsung set due to the sheer number of problems we see with them daily on here. The upper end LG sets and Toshibas seem to have much better reliability in general- with LG catching up to Samsung in features.

Sorry about the double post there, been having issues on the site lately.

Aric, Technician