TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a JVC LT-37X688 LCD TV. When I 1st turn it on, all is

Customer Question
I have a JVC LT-37X688...
I have a JVC LT-37X688 LCD TV. When I 1st turn it on, all is well. After about five minutes a part of the screen freaks-out - gets darker and the image stays for a while. If we let it run for 45 minutes or so, the screen gets better again. Is that problem associated with a certain component or board?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is only a part of the screen affected?
Do you see lines, distorted colors, etc?

Or does it go entirely blank and black (as if powered off)?

Only part of the screen. 1/4 to 1/2, depending on the day.
The "bad" part of the picture is typically a distorted version of the picture. It will hang around for 5-10 seconds, then skip to a current picture and freeze for another 5-10 seconds... all distorted colors, etc.

When you are saying 1/2, is it always on the right, or left side, or is it more of a top/ bottom split?

Do you have any problems with the sound?

Does it happen on all sources/inputs (cable/satellite, dvd, game, apps, etc)?

Usually the left half of the screen - picture has a lot of red
Sound always works
We have problem on TV and various inputs.

Usually, or always? Is it ever on the right side? This is an important distinction.

I have only seen the problem on the left side.
Not always fully from top to bottom, but always on the left.

Okay thank you for confirming.

So long as they are not horizontal lines, this would point to a bad tcon board as the primary culprit.

The problem will be with finding parts, as this is getting to be an older model, if you can find the board, it will be around $60 on average, assuming repairing yourself. If having a local tech do it, you'd be in the $150 range.

For a tv this age/size/type, replacement may make more sense. You can get a brand new LED 42" tv for $300 with a fresh warranty.

It's 1130pm. I will probably open-up the TV tomorrow and look for loose cables and/or bad caps.
I'm not going to sink a lot of money into this TV; it is quite old.

No problem, take your time. I do see a used board here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-996510010052-55-37T04-008-T-Con-Board-For-37PF5522D-05-37PFL6622D-05-/331533405763

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, Installer