Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My denon reciever is broadcasting sound but not tv

Customer Question

My denon reciever is broadcasting sound for radio but not tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Was the TV sound working before on the Denon, or is this the first time setting is up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just went out
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, There's several ways you can have "TV sound" through the Denon. Do you have a cable box or a SAT box connected to the receiver?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a directv box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what should I do ?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No thank you, ***** *****'t take a phone call right now.

Reboot that box by disconnecting it from power with the Denon shut OFF. Then plug the cable box bac kin and once it reboots turn the Denon back on, and see if the sound is restored.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will
Reboot
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the Denon is not on I can't tell when the reboot is finished
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

When the Directv box shows the channel number on it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Is the box rebooted and do you still have no sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebooted and still no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Any other sources connected to the Denon like a DVD player, etc.? If so, is there sound from that source?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dvd works fine
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay then the issue is either the DTV box itself- in which case you should contact DirecTv and have them swap it out (as it's their equipment and they're simply renting to you), or you can try a processor reset of the Denon- but you will need to setup the receiver as if it were brand new out of the box. If you choose to go that route the processor reset is on page 138 of the manual below:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20111011084900/Manuals/033/033AV4311C.PDF

However since the Tuner and the DVD player produce sound just fine through the Denon, it really would point to the DirecTv box being the root cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You refer going to page 138 and that page refers to other pages . Which page am I going to for setting up tv sound from new standpoint
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No it does not. Look at the bottom of the page where it says 138. That page clearly says "Resetting of the Microprocessor" on the right hand side of the page. Follow those instructions.

To set the receiver back up, follow the manual from page 1.

Your issue here is really pointing to a faulty DTV box, but if you want to try the processor reset- that's up to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This issue has happened before and it was never a faulty DTV box but I had techs coming and reset the sond I will look at 138 again
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I hit some buttons and I don't even get a tv pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do i rate at ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's done I will have to have someone come out to fix it