Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My new Samsung TV (two weeks old) goes dark after several

Customer Question

My new Samsung TV (two weeks old) goes dark after several minutes. I can cut the TV off and cut it back on and the color is bright, but in a few minutes it goes dark again. Why? What can I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

If the MENU itself is also going dark- this is a huge clue. It tells me without a doubt that the issue is a hardware fault with the TV's backlighting. The LED inverter/power supply board feeds the lights in the screen. Generally there are backlight settings in the MENU, but these do NOT affect the MENU- only external devices.

The fact that the MENU also goes dark means this issue goes beyond any settings or adjustments and is hardware related. I'm sorry for the bad news on this one, but I would suggest immediately contacting the retailer to setup an exchange- as you have 30 days to do so. Beyond that, you're left with a repair through Samsung service- and this could leave you without a TV for weeks.

Ultimately your LED inverters will fail, so I would suggest taking this set back sooner rather than later. I can tell you with certainty that upon the fact the MENU also goes dark- this tells us the problem is internal. In the field we use the MENU test to determine if the issue is "setting/source" related- or TV hardware related.

I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.