TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Followed you instructions 5 blinks, got a new board and

Customer Question
Customer: hi dan, followed you...
Customer: hi dan, followed you instructions for the 5 blinks, got a new board and still having the issue... how does this process work?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: panasonic tc-p50g10 which stopped working http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/63mpu-panasonic-viera-g10-series-tc-p50g10-50-inch-1080p-plasma-hdtv-just.html#re.v/447/ went through this link and followed it step by step but no luck
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is the above enough for a response or do I need to supply more details?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a Panasonic TC-P50G10 manufactured in August 2009. Turned it on one day and no picture came on, just 5 blinks. I searched online and found this article from http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/0ed56ece075a4f198ffc898946ddbb7d#re.v/447/I replaced the P board, it still doesn't work... however I never saw this part of the instructions. "Compare the measured voltage to the Vsus listed on the voltage sticker inside the TV. They should match. If not, adjust VR251 on the P-board to make them match." nor do I understand how to test the SS board.I took an audio recording of the TV when it I turn it on, fizzle/click. I have it shared here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9B0WfNAb48eNDBpdl9PaVMzRWc/view?usp=sharingI have the recorder right over the P Board when it makes the noise.
12/19/2015
TV Technician: Michael Hannigan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician

Compare the measured voltage to the Vsus listed on the voltage sticker inside the TV

There should be a sticker inside the tv which will look like the one I've uploaded here.

That will show you the correct VSUS voltage. If the voltage does not match that precisely, it must be adjusted to be as close as possible. Getting near it will show some type of picture, but when you get it exact, the picture will be correct. VR-251 is a variable resistor that you can turn that will adjust the voltage. That should look something like the second image I uploaded for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Michael, I will check the voltage of these components... my next question is... the TV is exhibiting the same fizzle/click with the new power board that it experienced with the old one. If the voltage is off on those components will it cause the fizzle/click that its doing? I'm wondering if the previous troubleshooting lead me to replace a board that wasn't bad.... Should we start from scratch?

It sounds like the board may not have been bad, but it is possible to have more than one bad board. I would wait until you check those voltages to do anything.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Michael,
I think we should level set and follow your specific troubleshooting routine... To answer your question.... When I have all the boards plugged into the new power board, I get the fizzle and the click, and when I put the red probe to the SS attached component and black to the chassis, it reads zero. If I disconnect the SC board, and then press the power button, it does not fizzle and click, however measuring the points in question, it counts back to zero. Attached is a picture with an arrow pointing to the component on the SS board I put the red probe against.I'd really prefer to start with your troubleshooting methodology vs pick up on another individuals work which potentially could have missed some steps. At this point I see that the SC board causes the fizzle/click which kills the power across the TV. What are the next steps?

Actually, if I were looking at it for the first time and the SC caused the fizzle/click, that's the first thing I would replace. That's a gift from the TV gods. When you say that it causes it, do you mean you can actually hear it come from there? The voltage drop after it turns on is normal.

Can you send a picture of the SC board?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
go...

Thank

you...

With physically accurate, perspective-shaded, red arrows?

Do you have any pointed up toward the sky from you laying in a supine position on the board?

My god... if the TV thing doesn't work out for you, you may want to look into becoming a photographer! I never get pictures this good!

I agree - no bulging. From the overhead view, it looked like a maybe.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Michael,
Not sure if I understand the question from the last post. Are you asking if any of the caps are upright?
Thanks,
Tim

I was joking - your pictures are so good - so detailed, I was asking if you have taken any from the position of laying on the board and looking up? Sorry... I have a dry sense of humor that is funny mostly to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Michael, What are the next steps for the troubleshooting?

OK... we will go through the steps.

On the SC-board, find and disconnect connectors labeled SC2, and SC20. Now plug the TV's power cable into a working outlet, and try to turn the TV on. You won't get a picture, but does the TV turn on and stay on, without flashing 5 times or does it stay off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When i have sc20 and sc2 unplugged i get 6 blinks.When i plug sc20 and sc2 i get 5 blinks.When i seperate su and sd boards, and power on i get 5 blinks.

Ok. I don't know if you are getting ahead of me, or just trying different things. The 6 blinks is correct.

that's normal. Reconnect SC2 and SC20. Now we need to measure the DC voltage on pin 6 of connector P25, which is on the P-board. Push your red lead down into the connector so your lead contacts the pin, and leave your black lead grounded on any exposed chassis metal. Do you get 5V on that pin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get 2 volts dc +/- .2Yes i was trying other things while i waited the "next steps" email.

OK. So it is the P-Board. Verify by disconnecting each of the other boards, and re-measuring that pin each time. If it never goes to 5V, then the P-Board needs to be replaced. (part number ETX2MM747AFK)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When i have nothing plugged in except power, i get 0 volts on pin 6.When i plug in p11 from ss board, i get 7 blinks and get .2 voltsWhen i unplug p11/ss board and plug in p2/sc board i get fizzle/pop - 5 lights and 2.2 +/- .2 voltsI replaced the p board once already and have the exact same symptoms. The only time i get a fizzle/pop is when s/c is connected.

Try all these combinations, please, still measuing pin 6 on P25. I think you did the first two but not the last two. I'm doing this the way we would objectively test if we were not making any assumptions about the TV. Assumptions would lead us to the SC board, but if you disconnect the SC-board and still get 2mV here, then it doesn't seem to be causing the (at least this) problem.

Then disconnect P2 to the SC-board first,
Then disconnect P11 to the SS-board
Then disconnect P35 to the A-board
Then disconnect P6 to the A-board

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to cycle power after each step right?The first line starts with. Then... what should i do before that?

Correct. Nothing. I made a mistake.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to clarofy, i keep connector 25 plugged in, and just measure pin 6 with the red probe right?

Right.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician