TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

This is ***** *****. I have a 3 year old Magnavox 50" LCD

Customer Question
Customer: Hi. This is...
Customer: Hi. This is ***** *****. I have a 3 year old Magnavox 50" LCD HDTV and then sound goes in and out periodically. I thought it was my sound bar but when I disconnect it, it doesn't help. The only thing that seems to help is to turn the tv off for a little bit. Then the sound will come back, sometimes briefly and sometimes for an extended period of time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have made sure that my cords are not loosely connected and it doesn't matter if I am watching live TV or DVR recorded programming.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
12/18/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does this happen with all sources/inputs (cable/sat, dvd, game, apps, etc)? What is the complete model number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model number is ***** I don't have a game hooked to it. It happens when watching live TV or recorded programming on my DVR.

I understand you're getting it on cable/sat, whether live or recorded. I'm asking you to please specifically test something else, dvd, game, apps, etc. Anything other than the cable box, please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not experiencing that issue with the DVD player.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oops. Yes, I am.

Okay thank you for checking. I just wanted to make sure this wan't a faulty cable box, which is pretty common.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

As an alternative, you may want to try bypassing the tv entirely for sound (keep hdmi for video, disable/mute tv speakers) then route the cable/dvd directly to the soundbar via optical .

Otherwise, replacing the tv would probably make more sense than repairing it, you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to try that.

Thanks

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, Installer