How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Russell H. Your Own Question
Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 11080
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
Type Your TV Question Here...
Russell H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a TH-50pz80u that does not blink any error code. The

Customer Question

Hi Roger
I have a TH-50pz80u that does not blink any error code. The light stays lit all the time but I have no picture. The problem started after we had a lightening storm.
Thank you
Steve Biekert
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the TV was not plugged into power through a surge protector or other power filtering device, it is to be feared that it was damaged severely.

A surge protector for every electronic device of any value, is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

That there is no blink code as well as no picture, hints to my common sense, that both the power supply (higher voltage needed for picture and/or backlight) and the logic board (needed for there to be a blink code, usually) have been damaged. But basically, with surge or power variation damage, one needs to snoop through a device's workings in detail, in order to determine where the damage occurred.

I'd advise - if you wish to try to repair this yourself, and have electronic equipment and electronics repair skills - getting a service manual for this model line. It would help a lot.

Otherwise, it's a clear choice between repair - quite possibly quite expensive - and replacement.

(If you'd prefer a chance at a second opinion from a different Expert, at no additional charge to you, just let me know and I will Opt Out of this case.)