Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a TH-50pz80u that does not blink any error code. The

Customer Question

Hi Roger
I have a TH-50pz80u that does not blink any error code. The light stays lit all the time but I have no picture. The problem started after we had a lightening storm.
Thank you
Steve Biekert
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the TV was not plugged into power through a surge protector or other power filtering device, it is to be feared that it was damaged severely.

A surge protector for every electronic device of any value, is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

That there is no blink code as well as no picture, hints to my common sense, that both the power supply (higher voltage needed for picture and/or backlight) and the logic board (needed for there to be a blink code, usually) have been damaged. But basically, with surge or power variation damage, one needs to snoop through a device's workings in detail, in order to determine where the damage occurred.

I'd advise - if you wish to try to repair this yourself, and have electronic equipment and electronics repair skills - getting a service manual for this model line. It would help a lot.

Otherwise, it's a clear choice between repair - quite possibly quite expensive - and replacement.

(If you'd prefer a chance at a second opinion from a different Expert, at no additional charge to you, just let me know and I will Opt Out of this case.)