TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Directv says my LG tv is bad. Picture will not load from

Customer Question
Directv says my LG tv...
Directv says my LG tv is bad. Picture will not load from Directv box. Works fine in other room. In this case will briefly show AV1 in upper right corner and then returns to all black screen. No sound also. Have rebooted cable box four times and unplugged tv twice and let rest. No help either way.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2015
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you need to know?

Plenty

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jack,Tell me what you need to know. I'll tell you all I can. I've talked to two different people at Directv and they both think I need a new TV. I hope they are wrong and that is why I am at your site.Joe

Can you see the TV's own menu ?

What do you mean by " Works fine in other room " , is that the tv or the direct tv box ?

Do you get the OSD (on screen display) volume bar for example when you use the volume button ?

Something you said here as well may make the difference ;

You said " will briefly show AV1 in upper right corner " and that AV1 is an analog composite input , usually what you will use in the last resort like when you have to connect an old vcr .

Is your direct tv box connected into AV1 at the back of the tv ??

Can you reply to me here , the phone offer did not go through anyway

What type of cables /connection do you have between the cable box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have to cancel now because of a time issue. I will try to get back to you tomorrow. Please don't charge me any more than the original five dollars. Thank you.

No problem , we can resume this anytime you want .

By the way , I have no idea what you are being charge or any of the money matters here , just the tv guy not even an employee

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Jack,I'm Back. Joe here. Can we try the phone call again? (###) ###-#### I should be home for the next hour or so. 12:35 pm now.

I could call you but i will have to go through the website phone request system .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like all colored cables. There is an HDM1 cable but I think it is from the sound bar.

What i need to know is where are the cables connected into he tv , I`m talking about the direct tv box to the tv , not the sound bar .

Click the link below , that's your tv , give me a number where the direct tv box is connected exactly please ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk5p6x7wkex1do1/2015-12-15_1643.png?dl=0

By the way , if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The picture is behind that .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Connected at #9

WOW , the worse possible connection

Does that direct tv box happen to have a HDMI port at the back ?

If your cable box has a HDMI port then grab a hdmi cable like the one going to the sound bar and connect that box into HDMI 1 , 2 or 3 on the tv then select that input with the INPUT button on the remote and you are in business.

Right now I won`t even bother to ask you where those AV1 cables are on the direct tv box although that could be the problem .

This type of connection was used in the 80`s to connect your old vcr , you have a HD tv and if your direct tv box is also HD as I suspect then give yourself a Christmas gift and get a hdmi cable for a 300% picture improvement not mentioning the fact that this will fix your problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried the HDMI--still the same problem.

O.k then this time please try to stick around until we get to the source of the problem , this is getting too confusing as i I have to go back everytimes to see where we were .

I first asked 2 days ago these 2 questions ;

Can you see the TV's own menu ?

And you never answered .

These criteria are important to know now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Cannot see the tv menu. No picture at all on tv.
Works fine in other room refers to the Directv box and the tv connected to it.

O.k then this changes the whole thing and yes indeed there is a problem with the tv if you cannot even see its own menu .

In that case we could take it from the standpoint of a broken tv .

How do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Think I'll pass on your offer. I can get a new one comparable to what I have now for over $1000 less than I paid for this one.
Thanks for your help.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician