TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

What is wrong with a television when it starts responding to

Customer Question
most remote signals as only...
What is wrong with a television when it starts responding to most remote signals as only one input such as '3' for a channel input?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
12/8/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the make/model of the tv?
What is connected to it?
What remote are you using?

I'm at work & the TV is at home, and as luck would have it is the first TV I've ever had where I don't have that answer off the top of my head. It is a very simple 20" flat screen bought in 2007. Get back to you with the rest. It is connected to a cable box with DVR service as well as a DVD player and a VHS player. It has its own remote, but it started responding to all 3 other remotes for the devices mentioned as a selection of digit three for a channel selection, and once it had received any four selections, it viewed them as the entire channel field being "3333" and then would say invalid selection, and then the next input as a selection of channel 3 and switched to channel 3. Then any subsequent inputs were viewed as the three digit in the channel field and then repeated the process. Even passing humans were viewed as a selection of digit 3 in the channel field.
Turning the set off for a minute and then back on did not help UNTIL it turned itself off after three hours of this bizarre behaviour, and after being left off for 10 minutes the problem went away. My concern is that it may happen again and not to return to "sanity" after the next episode of this, Joan

If you can get me the model number, it would go a long way.

Offhand, it sounds like its got an internal firmware fault or a bad infrared sensor or main board.

Panasonic viera manufactured in 12/2007. That is a very vague answer - is there any way I can give you more info for you to be able to narrow down the cause of the problem? How difficult is it to have any of these three categories of problems repaired?

I cannot give you anything more specific in this type of situation without detailed information from you. Panasonic is the brand, viera is a series, I would need the complete model number.

The model number is ***** (Serial#: MX73400170). I don't think tapping my flip phone will help me.

Thanks for the information.

The only step you can take here is to try to factory reset the tv:

Power on
Press and hold volume down/- button on the side, along with MENU on the panasonic remote, together, for 5 seconds, until power shuts down.

Restart, and check for functionality. If the problem continues it would confirm an internal fault.

In the end, it really doesn't matter which of the issues it is though. This tv is so old that the firmware can't be updated (no updates available). A sensor/board could be replaced, but won't be cost effective to do so. The parts are no longer available anyway, and even when they can be found, labor costs alone would quickly exceed the value of the tv. You'd be in the $250 range for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an 8 year old 26" tv. The tv is already well past its 5 year service life, and could be replaced with a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for $150-200.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know..

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Installer