Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a vizio jv50p10a tv. I have to turn on and off the

Customer Question

I have a vizio jv50p10a tv. I have to turn on and off the power several times before the front speakers engage. the unit is about 8 years old. Any quick fixes??
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Quick fixes depend on what's connected to the TV- and using what type of cable.

Offhand this is a pretty common issue with HDMI connected Cable or SAT boxes- and the communication needs to be refreshed by power cycling the TV. This can often be corrected by replacing the HDMI cable, or having the cable or SAT company swap out the box.

However once you've ruled that out (for instance if the issue also occurs when playing a DVD from a DVD player), then this is a hardware issue within the Vizio. But that is much less common than the HDMI cable or programming box as being the cause of the problem.

Let me know what you find and if you need more help with this.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you need further help, but- if you haven't already- then swap out the HDMI cable with a new one. These can be purchased at WalMart, Radio Shack or Best Buy for $15-$20.

Beyond that, have the cable provider swap out their box, or at the very least- try a reboot of the box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.

If the issue goes beyond that, unplug the TV for several hours to reset it's processor and try again.

Your last possible cause of this problem is a communication glitch on the Mainboard of the TV- which is the component that processes all of your AV signals. In this case, replacement of that board is needed, and given the age of this Vizio set- that part is no longer available, and when it is- is a $300 repair (not cost effective on an older 50" set).

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.