Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I gave my boss a set of Sony wireless headphones he want to

Customer Question

I gave my boss a set of Sony wireless headphones he want to use on his vizio smart TV. I don't know what to do to get them to work. I tried the audio socket and the headphone socket, but no sound. What adjustments to the TV do I need to do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you please provide the complete model number of the tv, as well as the sources/inputs used with it (cable/satellite box, antenna, dvd, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
antenna, M221NV vizio
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you have any trouble with getting audio through the tv speakers?

What is the model of the headphones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV speakers are great. Sony wireless model MDR-RF985R
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Are you seeing a light on the sony transmitter/base, or on the headphones themselves?
When you plugged into the headphone socket on the tv, did the vizio speakers turn off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all lights are on. No, the tv speakers didn't go off.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have anything else there, like a dvd player or game system? Or even a smartphone/tablet?

If so, can you please try to test the headphones on another device, either via headphone jack or red/white jacks.

THat will help us make sure the headphones are actually working (need batteries in properly, charged, set to the proper channel, etc).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have anything here to test them on. I unplugged them from a LG sound bar this morning. They were working fine.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you plug them to the computer you're working on?

This is most likely a vizio issue, it should be able to output from the headphone jack, the 3.5mm minijack connection (not the red/white, those will not work on this tv).

My concern is that the tv speakers aren't going out, which should happen when you plug those in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks so much for your help. Appreciate the try. Have a great weekend. Thanks again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well there are a few more things we can try here,

but the tv volume should be dropping when headphone jack is plugged in, that gives you volume control from vizio remote over headphone levels. Try turning it up, and inserting the headphone jack (the silver plug, not red/white) to back of tv a few times in and out to trigger it.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If that still won't work, or if you want to have headphones and speakers both working together, we can use the digital jack, but need to add a little adapter for it. I can explain more about that if you'd like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Figured it out. There are 2 audio sockets in the back of the TV. I had to put on my "cheaters" to see it. DUH! thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you may have been on the pc audio input connection instead of headphone.

Glad it's working for you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.