Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have an oLd Philco 25" TV (10 yrs plus). How can I shrink

Customer Question

I have an oLd Philco 25 " TV (10 yrs plus). How can I shrink the Picture as CC, sports scores , AND STOCK QUOTES NO LONGER FIT ON THE PICTURE but on are on the edge?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Satellite box
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then look on the satellite box remote for a button called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I did answer , here it is again

look on the satellite box remote for a button called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that does it

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Right now I believe your satellite box is on zoom mode and that is why the picture extends beyond the tv screen

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , if that does not correct it then there is a problem with the tv , namely its horizontal deflection or regulation circuits

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing on the remote that you have mentioned. It is a Direct TV remote.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Let me check this for a minute

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Is it one of those GENIE box and remote ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then you`ll find this in the menu , give me a sec

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

1.Go to any channel and press the INFO button
2.Press the RIGHT ARROW to scroll through to Audio/Video
3.Press the DOWN ARROW to highlight “Change Resolution & Format,” then press SELECT to cycle through different screen formats.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Give me a minute or as the TV is in another room.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Again if this does not do it then it is possible that your TV's horizontal deflection circuit went defective

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't exactly work the way you said, Everything is now on the screen but the top and bottom are cut down
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That is what direct tv gives me , you can see it on their website at the link below;

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1257/~/how-do-i-change-the-screen-format-on-my-tv%3F

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps try the different formats but again , this is an older tv and now if you lose the picture top and bottom then you are looking at a vertical deflection problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I solve that?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This means parts replacement , most likely bad capacitors and if you look at the fact that this is an OLD crt tv and what it would cost ($100 and up) to have it repaired then I would think about it twice .

By the way , this is a Philips , not philco and it is over 2 years old

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Over 20 years old I meant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank YOu
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way ,

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Thanks for understanding .