TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have an oLd Philco 25" TV (10 yrs plus). How can I shrink

Customer Question
I have an oLd Philco...
I have an oLd Philco 25 " TV (10 yrs plus). How can I shrink the Picture as CC, sports scores , AND STOCK QUOTES NO LONGER FIT ON THE PICTURE but on are on the edge?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
12/3/2015
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 2 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

I am here.

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?

Satellite box

O.k then look on the satellite box remote for a button called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.

Please answer

I did answer , here it is again

look on the satellite box remote for a button called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.

Let me know if that does it

Right now I believe your satellite box is on zoom mode and that is why the picture extends beyond the tv screen

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

By the way , if that does not correct it then there is a problem with the tv , namely its horizontal deflection or regulation circuits

There is nothing on the remote that you have mentioned. It is a Direct TV remote.

Let me check this for a minute

Is it one of those GENIE box and remote ?

O.k then you`ll find this in the menu , give me a sec

1.Go to any channel and press the INFO button
2.Press the RIGHT ARROW to scroll through to Audio/Video
3.Press the DOWN ARROW to highlight “Change Resolution & Format,” then press SELECT to cycle through different screen formats.

OK. Give me a minute or as the TV is in another room.

Again if this does not do it then it is possible that your TV's horizontal deflection circuit went defective

It doesn't exactly work the way you said, Everything is now on the screen but the top and bottom are cut down

That is what direct tv gives me , you can see it on their website at the link below;

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1257/~/how-do-i-change-the-screen-format-on-my-tv%3F

Perhaps try the different formats but again , this is an older tv and now if you lose the picture top and bottom then you are looking at a vertical deflection problem

How do I solve that?

This means parts replacement , most likely bad capacitors and if you look at the fact that this is an OLD crt tv and what it would cost ($100 and up) to have it repaired then I would think about it twice .

By the way , this is a Philips , not philco and it is over 2 years old

Over 20 years old I meant

Ok. Thank YOu

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

By the way ,

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Thanks for understanding .

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician