Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Sony Bravia has started to only show a screen.

Customer Question

My Sony Bravia has started to only show a white screen. Occasionally for a moment a picture will pop up but quickly it will fade to all white again. Can I fix the TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the complete model number of the tv?
Does this happen on all sources/inputs?
Can you see the Sony on screen setup menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get back to you in a few minutes with the model number but yes- it's showing on all inputs in fact I can't see the input or screen setup menus at all when I call them up.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.
Are you still getting sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sound is fine. When this first started happening, it would eventually show the normal picture after being white screen but now it seems to not pull up at all.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. I'll need the model number when you have a chance, to be able to give details on the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there- sorry for the delay. The model number is ***** 37L4000
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the info,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most often a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this age/size however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for less than you'd spend on repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.