Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My vizion tv is really dark. I can barely see the screen

Customer Question

My vizion tv is really dark. I can barely see the screen when I hit menu bar. For some reason next to brightness there is a circle with a line through it. Is it broken or is there a way to fix the settings?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number vizio va26lhdtv10t. There is nothing connected now and has not been used for about 6 months because we thought it was just broken. It went dark on dvd and dvr before but maybe my daughter did something to the settings and didn't realize it. It is about 6 or 7 years old
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info. It could be a wrong setting in TV menu or hardware failure issue so lets try to reset the TV to default settings to eliminate any wrong settings in menu.

Press Menu on TV or remote to get menu screen ( I hope you could navigate in menu with faint visible image) and go to Help menu and select System Reset which will restore default settings in TV.

If this doesn't fix the dark screen issue then there are two possible boards that can cause such issue, either backlight inverter board isn't working to generate backlight in screen OR main board of TV isn't allowing backlight system to turn On. I would check 18/24 voltage supply to backlight inverter board, if volts are available then main board replacement will help to resolve the issue, please check following board supplier to get required board (or repair kit) as there are several type of board utilized in this one model so make sure you're getting identical board because different version board will not work properly or at all..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=vizio+va26lhdtv10t

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no help menu. Also sharpness, tint, color, contrast, brightness and backlight have red circle with a line through it next to each one.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is odd, press Menu button on TV remote, do you get Timer, Photo, Wide, Audio, TV, Picture, Parental, Help and CC icons on screen?

Please click following link to download TV user manual copy and check page 25 & 37 for details about help menu..

http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/VA26LHDTV10T/UM_VA26LHDTV10T.pdf

Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.