Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics
23511658

Sony KDL46NX720 - I replaced the main logic board and the TV

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - Sony KDL46NX720 - I replaced the main logic board and the TV is better but does not work.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The TV has 3 LEDS on the bottom left. When I press the power button, I get the left most LED blinking orange, the middle LED off, the right most LED blinking green. I can force the TV to display the SONY screen on the TV, but then nothing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Happy to wait and happy to pay a fee if I can get the TV to work
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can assist you with your question.

The first thing I'll do, is upload the service manual for you. This will provide a much more in-depth view of the troubleshooting procedures for the TV that you could get otherwise. Here is the link to that:

http://bitli.es/e4xhsP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the manual - probably would have helped me to figure out to replace the board, but not so much with diagnosing the problem now. Are you still working on a solution ? Is there some sort maintenance manual that can help to decode the blinking lights ? Seems like it might need some firmware.

I honestly don't know what you mean by that. The only reason you would possibly need firmware is if the original part was replaced with a different version of that part. And even if that's the case, getting that firmware is impossible or nearly impossible. You would need special equipment to flash it. The way to diagnose this would be electrically.There's a very good chance that the logic board was not the only part that failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe firmware is the wrong term. Seems like the TV boots, functions, but never gets to the initial setup menu. So my thought was maybe there is some new CPU board setup that I was not aware of.Do you know what the blinking LEDs mean?

Is there a pattern to the blinking? Like x number of fast blinks, pause, slow blink, then repeat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They seem to blink continuously without a pattern. When I first power on the TV, I get the normal standby LED. After pressing the power button, I get the left most LED blinking orange, the middle LED off, the right most LED blinking green, the middle LED ( standby power ) is off.There is no pattern, they just blink continuously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,There is no pattern from what I can tell.
When I plug in the TV, the standby LED turns on as you would expect.
When I press the power button on the remote, I get the left most LED blinking orange, the middle LED (stanby power) off, the right most LED blinking green. It seems to just blink for ever.By pressing the power button again,I see the sony splash screen, but then the same blinking pattern and no setup screens. Pressing the up arrow on the remote causes the LED pattern to change, but once I let go, its the same state.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,Any more thoughts on my issue ?Brad