Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I use the remote to turn the TV on but it doesn't show a

Customer Question

I use the remote to turn the TV on but it doesn't show a picture only sound and a slow flashing red light.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Please tel me how many times the light blinks between pauses- this is an error code (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.). Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red light flashes every couple of seconds. I only have a New Zealand phone number. So can I ring you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It keeps slowly flashing (red).
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I can't talk on the phone. I need the specific number of blinks between pauses please. Or are you saying there are no pauses- so in other words a continuous blink pattern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blink pause two seconds Blink pause two seconds and same again and again.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That's a 2 blink code which generally points to the power supply board having failed in the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have the same problem please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the same.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then the set has a bad power supply board and it needs to be replaced. The only thing you can try on a user level is to leave the TV unplugged for several hours or more (overnight is best), in the hopes that it resets. If it does not- then the power supply board does indeed needs to be swapped out- or repaired. There are generally two regulator IC chips that burn out/fail causing this issue.

The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range at a shop.

If you're looking to repair the set yourself, please remove the back cover and postback with the part number stamped on the power board- and I can then search for a replacement unit.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad new and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like where not going to solve this problem. So please don't charge me. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I have nothing to do with charging and the solution to your problem is to replace the power supply board. There's not always a pushbutton fix for everything. I am opting out.