TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv is working only in black and. Direct n just changed

Customer Question
My tv is working only...
My tv is working only in black and white. Direct n just changed and checked the boxes it's the tv any suggestions
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Chances are your TV's simply on the wrong Input setting. If you're using Red,White and yellow cables- you need to set the TV to "Composite/AV"- not Component.

However I know nothing of your specific setup.

Can you please tell me the model number off of the back of your TV, and also what type of cables are being used between the DTV box and the set?

Let's try this- find your original Vizio remote and locate the "Input" button.

Then use that button to select a setting called EITHER:

"AV"

"Video"

"COMPOSITE"

(Do NOT select COMPONENT).

If that does not work then please reply with the info I requested above and we can proceed.

Nothing is has changed the direct tv tech came to check the boxes, he changed all cables no change. Still black and white he used just DVD player still b&w. All setting are the same from last week when I used it nothing has changed. The tv is on the wall so I can't get to the back TV IS 2 YRS OLD from Sam's

Did you even follow the instructions I posted or no?

everything was checked

Here's the thing- you're either on the wrong Input setting, or your TV has a hardware failure and requires a replacement Mainboard be installed. I'd rather check the basics first.

Checked? I asked you specifically to select one of the AV Inputs besides Component. Anyhow, okay- so your TV needs it's Mainboard replaced. Since I don't have a model number here, and the set is beyond one year (out of warranty) then the cost is between $200-$275 parts and labor depending on model and you can use the link below to locate a shop:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need more help, then tell me what Input setting the TV is on right now, and if looking to repair the TV yourself- then it needs to be pulled from the wall anyhow. Then we would need the model number off of the back of the set.

Beyond what is posted above, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

The settings are right. I checked them and the direct tv technician came and checked them

Okay, well I didn't check them and you're not giving me specifics here. The answer posted above is the solution to the problem if you're 100% certain you're on the correct Input. There's no way around that. Input setting or faulty Mainboard are what causes this. Sorry for the bad news.

The only two things that cause this are an incorrect Input setting or a faulty Mainboard. Since you're saying you're certain the TV is on the correct Input setting (black and white picture indicates Component is selected, and not Composite), then this concludes that your Mainboard is faulty. If you wan to repair it yourself- I need the model number. If you're not, then you're at between $200-$275 parts and labor for repairs.

Let me know if there is anything else you need please.

Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

The technician check every thing all connections I watched him. I checked the setting before he came the tv have not been touched 4 days before I call direct tv. The tv is not used every day.

This has nothing to do with connections.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Input is ok too nothing was changed on the tv I was watching it cut off then n4 days later I turned on and it was black and white.

Okay, I understand.

Then this concludes that your Mainboard is faulty. If you wan to repair it yourself- I need the model number. If you're not, then you're at between $200-$275 parts and labor for repairs.

Aric, Technician